DescriptionThe University of Massachusetts Amherst seeks candidates for the position of Digital Image Metadata Librarian, Image Collection Library. As the largest public academic research library in Massachusetts, we are a key partner in teaching, learning, and research at UMass Amherst and in the Commonwealth. By combining the latest information technology with excellent public service, the staff builds and maintains a rich information environment, facilitates access to it, and creates a place that functions as a hub of campus and community scholarly activity. The Digital Image Metadata Librarian will collaborate with faculty, librarians and information technology staff to develop, deliver and integrate digital images and other objects into the curriculum. Provide user support for generation, classification, retrieval, and use of images through on-site consultation, print resources, and online documentation. Catalog materials in a variety of formats, with emphasis on electronic and visual image resources. Advise on the application of appropriate current and emerging metadata schema and file standards to facilitate access to digital image resources and other collections. Train others on metadata creation and management; and work closely with staff throughout the Library to provide access to the Image Collection Library’s collection. Provide information, research, and reference assistance to library users at appropriate service points to facilitate retrieval and use of images
- Master’s degree in library sciences - or equivalent degree – from a program accredited by the American Library Association, or its appropriate equivalent in librarianship from another country, or have appropriate equivalent experience.
- Experience with one or more of the following metadata standards: VRA Core 4.0, Dublin Core, CDWA, METS/MODS, OpenURL, OAI-PMH, EAD, XML, TEL or others
- Familiarity with AACR 2nd ed. Rev., Cataloging Cultural Objects, Library of Congress Subject Headings, MARC 21 format, and the OCLC cataloging system.
- Knowledge of digital asset management systems, such as the Luna Imaging Software Suite, Fedora, Dspace, CONTENTdm.etc.
- Awareness of the latest trends in academic librarianship.
- Strong commitment to excellent service and the ability to interact effectively and work productively and collaboratively with a wide variety of library staff and users.
- Excellent analytical, interpersonal, and communications skills, as well as initiative, flexibility and willingness to engage in continual learning.
- Ability to plan, coordinate, and implement projects.
- Ability to distinguish colors as they relate to the color correction processing of digital images.
- Advanced computer skills. Familiarity with Microsoft Windows Office Suites, Photoshop and other productivity tools.
- Knowledge of visual literacy concepts, digital media literacy techniques and learning management systems.
- Experience with creation and/or management of digital objects in various image, text, sound, and/or video formats.
- Knowledge of how digital image collections and electronic objects are used in an academic setting.
- Academic degree in Visual Arts and working knowledge of French, and/or German, Italian, or Spanish.
SALARY COMMENSURATE WITH ADVERTISED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
APPLICATIONS: Preference will be given to applications received by January 25, 2013. Send letter of interest, résumé, and the names of three professional references, to: Digital Image Metadata Librarian, Image Collection Library Search, Library Administrative Office, W.E.B. Du Bois Library, 154 Hicks Way, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA 01003-9275 or email us at email@example.com.
How to apply
Published: Friday, January 11, 2013 05:55 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:46 UTC