In collaboration with partners across campus and members of our library consortium, the Systems Librarian administers multiple essential library systems including Alma/Primo VE, ILLiad, Digital Commons, and the LibApps suite. The Systems Librarian serves as lead contact with systems vendors, troubleshoots bugs, and applies their deep knowledge of each system’s functionality to enable library staff to optimize their workflows and integrate systems to facilitate user discovery of and access to resources. This position reports to the Head of Digital Services and as part of the Digital Services Team works closely with Campus IT and members of various digital initiatives teams. W&M Libraries is committed to providing financial and other support for professional development and travel.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
- Responsible for support and administration for a suite of library systems such as Alma/Primo VE, ILLiad, Digital Commons, and LibApps.
- Engage in problem solving and workflow assessment in close collaboration with library staff from all W&M Libraries as well as our consortia partners (Colonial Williamsburg and Richard Bland College.)
- Keep abreast of proposed, new, and existing functionality to support streamlined workflows and expanded capabilities for administered systems.
- Engage with staff across W&M Libraries and consortia partners to assess needs and priorities, facilitate systems integration projects, and advocate with vendors regarding issue resolutions and feature requests.
- Prepare and maintain reports and statistical data to assist in evidence-based decision making
- Focus on user experience to inform decision making regarding design and functionality of systems.
- Participate in strategic planning, development of library policies and procedures, and other committees as required.
- Attain Alma and Prime VE Administration certifications within six (6) months of hire date.
- Collaborate with campus IT on third-party integrations.
Bachelor’s degree in any field from an accredited institution. ALA accredited master’s degree in library and/or information science from an accredited institution is also required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Considerable knowledge of the theories, concepts, principles and techniques of librarianship for technical and reference services.
- General knowledge of library workflows such as circulation, cataloging, acquisitions, and interlibrary loan.
- Working knowledge of current trends, practices, and procedures related to access, discovery, and technical services operations to include web accessibility standards or best practices.
- Demonstrated skill in analysis and creative problem-solving, with the ability to interpret and apply policies and procedures, formulate reasonable options, and recommend solutions.
- Demonstrated aptitude and ability to conduct research, recommend, and implement specialized library information systems applications.
- Demonstrated ability to develop, foster and maintain collegial relationships in support of a highly responsive library customer service environment, to include group facilitation, effective negotiation, and leading and/or working with highly collaborative teams both in-person and virtually.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing, and to conduct presentations for small and large groups to include a diverse population of faculty, staff, students, patrons, visitors, and other internal and external stakeholders, promoting and enhancing diversity and inclusion.
Previously earned or recently earned Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information design, network technology or related field is preferred.
- Experience with providing support and management for ExLibris library services platform Alma and Primo VE.
- Familiarity with OCLC’s ILLiad, and EZProxy.
- Experience with relevant metadata standards such as MARC, Dublin Core, XML, and OpenURL.
- Experience with authentication processes using Shibboleth, SAML or Open Athens.
- Experience working in a consortia environment with a shared library services platform.
Last updated: Wednesday, August 10, 2022 14:13 UTC