DescriptionSnell Library at Northeastern University seeks an energetic, creative, experienced, and service-oriented developer to develop and maintain the core technical components for our digital library infrastructure. The successful candidate will work closely with colleagues in the Libraries and in Information Services and will play a leading role in designing the primary architecture and workflows for many key systems and services.
The Senior Digital Library Developer will be responsible for designing, developing, testing and deploying new technologies, tools and resources to extend and enhance digital content and services, developing application programming interfaces (APIs) to facilitate access to and integration between systems pathways; and will collaborate with IS colleagues to implement appropriate identity management and authentication policies. He or she will write and/or modify code and conduct quality assurance on code contributed by other developers. Initial projects include ongoing development of the Library's Digital Repository System (Fedora), creating connections between VIVO and various campus-based data sources, as well as leading the exploration and development of a suite of internal workflows and systems based on APIs provided by our library management system (Alma).
The Senior Digital Library Developer works collaboratively with library colleagues as well as colleagues in IS and across campus, and participates in an ongoing evaluation of emerging academic and library technologies.
Qualifications for this exciting position include:
* Bachelor's degree in Computer Science and 4 -6 years of development experience in an object oriented development environment such as Java required.
* Strong analytical and problem solving skills and the ability to formulate options, develop, and recommend solutions.
* Creativity in problem solving to independently resolve numerous technical issues arising in a constantly changing work environment, and analytical skills and judgment to extrapolate from one situation to another and to make appropriate decisions in a dynamic work environment
* Strong working knowledge of Java, SQL, XML/XSL.
* Experience with web programming frameworks such as PHP, Rails or Django.
* Ability to work in an API environment and experience developing REST-based services.
* Demonstrated experience with Unix, Unix utilities, device handling, data storage, and basic UNIX administration.
* Strong understanding of information organization and retrieval technologies used to organize, store, and access digital content.
* Experience with programming best practices, including test-drive development and design patterns.
* Knowledge of current web development standards and cross platform compatibility and accessibility techniques.
* Experience with Open Source software.
* Excellent oral and written skills to communicate with technical and non-technical individuals and prepare project documentation to support training and best practices encoding guidelines
* Strong interpersonal skills; ability to work successfully in a collaborative environment.
* Experience with IT in a higher education setting desirable.
Questions about this position or Northeastern's digital library program should be sent to Patrick Yott at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Northeastern University
Founded in 1898, Northeastern University is a private research university located in the heart of Boston. Northeastern is a leader in worldwide experiential learning, urban engagement, and interdisciplinary research that meets global and societal needs. Our broad mix of experience-based education programs-our signature cooperative education program, as well as student research, service learning, and global learning-build the connections that enable students to transform their lives. The University offers a comprehensive range of undergraduate and graduate programs leading to degrees through the doctorate in nine colleges and schools. See northeastern.edu for more information
About Snell Library at Northeastern University
The Library is at the hub of campus intellectual life. Resources include over 900,000 print volumes, 206,500 e-books, and 70,225 electronic journals. The Snell Library building welcomes 1.5 million visitors a year on the Boston campus and the Library's web site serves users around the world. The Library provides award-winning research and instructional services, a growing focus on networked information, and extensive special collections that document social justice efforts in the Greater Boston area. The Library has an ambitious vision to expand its digital initiatives by developing its digital repository, digitizing unique collections, constructing integrated collaborative spaces, and fostering the adoption of digital media and the creation of new knowledge. Northeastern University Libraries leads the way in redefining library service in the 21st century. See library.northeastern.edu for more information.
To apply for this position, and to view job grade and salary information, please visit: https://neu.peopleadmin.com/postings/22428
Northeastern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Educational Institution and Employer, Title IX University. Northeastern University particularly welcomes applications from minorities, women and persons with disabilities. Northeastern University is an E-Verify Employer.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:46 UTC