Tulane University Libraries, located in New Orleans, Louisiana, invites applications for the position of Web Developer II. The library seeks to build its professional staff by recruiting talented, energetic professionals interested in shaping the future of Tulane University and New Orleans.
The Web Developer II designs, develops, codes, tests, implements, and manages innovative and complex web-based applications for discovering, accessing and using library resources and services. They gather user requirements, develops website code, integrates applications, maintains documentation and creates web design and layout. They collaborate with Tulane’s Information Technology department to maintain various local and cloud-based servers. The position reports to the Library Director for User Services and IT.
Required Education and Experience:
High School Diploma or Equivalent; and 2 years of web development experience
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities/Competencies:
· Leadership skills
· Project management skills
· Solid understanding of current web standards as recommended by W3C including accessibility standards and cross browser issues
· Ability to design effective UI/UX using HTML5, CSS3 and Adobe Creative Suite
· Ability to work with open source products such as Drupal, Fedora, and/or Islandora
· Ability to design relational databases using MySQL, Oracle and SQL specifically related to library content exchange
· Ability to work with traditional server (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) environments
· Ability to develop secure applications, use robust authentication, access control, use encryption, and use other technologies as appropriate to ensure the integrity and security of sensitive information
· Ability to trouble-shoot complex code designs written by multiple developers, reverse engineering, identifying incompatibilities and providing alternatives for improved design and performance
· Ability to research and recommend emerging applicable technologies, platforms, toolsets and APIs for academic libraries
· Ability to initiate and maintain cooperative relationships with colleagues
· Ability to work both independently and collaboratively
· Excellent organization and time management skills and ability to meet deadlines
· Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills with both technical and nontechnical personnel
· Ability to function fully and competently at technology competency Levels I, II and III as outlined in Core technology competencies for Tulane Libraries Employees
• Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field
• Proven success as team leader/project manager
• Experience using MVC frameworks, Object Oriented Programming, and version control
• Experience with other program languages like Ruby, Java, C# and/or Python
• Experience with text search engines such as Solr and the underlying Lucene engine
• Experience with analytical and web tracking tools for site usage
• Experience working in an academic library
• Familiarity with Ex Libris products such as Alma and Primo
• Familiarity with digital library projects
Compensation Information: Anticipated salary range is $60,400 - $62,500 Tulane offers a variety of options to enhance your health and well-being so that you may enjoy more out of life now and in the future. Learn more about Life at Tulane as well as our Benefits and Pay. See our Candidate Resources to learn more about our hiring process and what to expect.
Environment Tulane University is an AAU/Carnegie Research Institution and ranked by U.S. News and World Report among the top fifty national universities in the United States. The university is located in beautiful uptown New Orleans where it borders the St. Charles Avenue streetcar line and Audubon Park. Howard-Tilton Memorial Library is the University's main library with an ARL research collection of more than four million titles.
To Apply. To apply for this position please go to Tulane University Jobs IRC24130. To ensure full consideration, applicants must submit a cover letter, resume, and the names with full contact information of at least three references. At least 2 of the references should be previous or current supervisors. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until a suitable candidate is selected. Tulane University is an AA/EO Employer. Women and
Please Note: Tulane University has officially adopted a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy. All employees and visiting faculty must be fully vaccinated with a COVID-19 vaccination or obtain approval for a medical or religious exemption prior to beginning employment.
Tulane University is an EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled employer with a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion. Applications by members of all underrepresented groups are encouraged.
Last updated: Monday, July 18, 2022 15:46 UTC