Web Developer (Full Stack)
The Ruth Lilly Medical Library seeks a talented individual willing to work on the full range of website development. The Library Web Developer position requires front-end and back-end skills to create solutions for high-performing library websites and web applications. The position employs a full range of skills for administering, designing, and developing library websites and web applications. This includes testing, quality assurance, developing data structures, web tools and programs while taking into consideration multi-browser and mobile compatibility and performance. Acts as a liaison to library stakeholders to optimize functionality, performance, accessibility, scalability, and security of websites and applications. The position reports to the Assistant Director for Library Technology, and is part of the Library’s Technology Team, which includes two full-time Makerspace staff. The position works collaboratively with the Assistant Director on library computer lifecycle inventory, management, and planning for future technology needs.
· Develops high-performing websites and web applications, including building and implementing back-end (APIs, databases) and front end (interfaces, web-based tools) solutions.
· Reviews, builds, and optimizes functionality, performance, accessibility, scalability, and security of Library websites and web applications.
· Is the library’s primary liaison to Health Technology Services and University Information Technology Services on matters involving the website and matters involving library technology requests and needs.
· Develops data structures, web tools and programs while taking into consideration multi-browser and mobile compatibility and performance.
· Documents website and web application development efforts (changes, new functionality, issue/problem resolution).
· Tests website and web application performance and functionality, performs quality assurance checks, and fixes bugs accordingly.
· Ensures that all protocols used in the development and maintenance of websites are up to date and compliant with university policies and standards.
· Researches and stays up-to-date on new industry web standards, emerging media technology, UX/UI design/philosophy, and accessibility standards.
· Provides creative design solutions that enhance the visual experience for users, taking into consideration varying presentation formats (mobile vs. desktop) and University brand guidelines.
· Consults with the Library’s marketing team on promotional materials, social media presence, and manages the library’s digital signage.
· Analyzes and reports on web site performance metrics and performs user testing and/or usage analysis.
· Identifies and applies updates, upgrades, and patches and performs testing to ensure website effectiveness and usability.
· Consults on technology needs for library special projects (examples include but are not limited to: implementation of open-source tools, examples: Room Reservation system and ReCiter).
· Troubleshoots and assists with implementation, customization, and integration of library related technologies, examples: the Springshare suite of products, Ezproxy, ILLiad etc.
· Other duties as assigned
· Bachelor's Degree preferably in Computer Science, User Experience and Design, Web Design and Development, Information Systems, or related field.
· Minimum 2 years of full stack web development or related experience.
· Combinations of related education and experience may be considered
Required knowledge, skills and abilities:
· Strong ability in reading and writing code in HTML, CSS, JS and with common JS frameworks.
· Experience with server-side web frameworks such as Python, Ruby, PHP
· Ability with database systems such as MySQL, Oracle
· Ability to integrate advanced protocol interfaces (APIs)
· Demonstrates visual design skills for websites and web applications and proficiency with graphics and image design tools
· Incorporates best practices for accessibility and usability, and is aware of policies and standards
· Ability to contribute to related file repositories and communicate with peers to ensure project success
· Ability to audit and perform updates to developed code systems and projects
· Basic knowledge of IT infrastructure, network services, and cloud computing
· Experience with content management systems such as WordPress, Sitecore, WCMS, Libguides
· Proficient in English, with strong written and effective verbal communication skills
· Maintains a high degree of professionalism
· Strong problem-solving and analytical skills
· Demonstrates project management and prioritization skills
· Possesses dependability and flexibility to work in a dynamic, time-sensitive environment
· Willingness to learn new technologies
Physical and Mental Demands
This role requires the ability to effectively communicate and to operate a computer and other standard office productivity equipment. Ability to be present at the workplace. May need to lift 35-40 pounds. The position involves sedentary work as well as periods of time moving around an office environment and the campus. The person in this role must be able to perform the essential functions with or without an accommodation.
· Interest or experience working in an academic or health sciences library
· Interest in or experience giving informal talks or presentations on technology topics
· Experience with video and audio production.
· Familiarity with Windows, MacOs, Android, and iOS.
Last updated: Tuesday, May 24, 2022 21:21 UTC