The University of Washington (UW) is proud to be one of the nation’s premier educational and research institutions. Our people are the most important asset in our pursuit of achieving excellence in education, research, and community service. Our staff not only enjoys outstanding benefits and professional growth opportunities, but also an environment noted for diversity, community involvement, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits, and natural beauty.
At the University of Washington, diversity is integral to excellence. We value and honor diverse experiences and perspectives, strive to create welcoming and respectful learning environments, and promote access, opportunity and justice for all.
The UW Libraries is one of the largest and most innovative libraries in North America with extensive collections in print, electronic, and other formats. Providing services to three campuses, the UW Libraries also plays a significant leadership role regionally and throughout the profession. The UW Libraries is recognized for its excellent service, innovative learning and research spaces, collaborative approaches, extensive assessment efforts and diverse award-winning staff.
The UW Libraries Information Technology Services & Digital Strategies (ITS-DS) within the University of Washington (UW) Libraries is a fast-paced, dynamic, and supportive environment where we rely heavily on current technologies and strong internal staff collaboration to support the UW Libraries’ activities and services.
The UW Libraries has an outstanding opportunity for a Temporary Senior Computer Specialist – Developer.
This position will assist with system implementation and application development. This position would include working with the Libraries’ Integrated Library System (Alma)/Discovery interface (UW Libraries Search) including the Ex Libris Primo VE migration/post-migration. Our current development environment includes Python, Ruby, and Java applications using Vagrant, Ansible, and Docker tooling. Current web applications and frameworks include DSpace, Django, Samvera/Hyrax, Angular JS, and several custom applications. Remote and flexible work environment. The expected project position duration is 9-12 months.
• Provide technical expertise, analysis, troubleshooting, and operational support for the Libraries’ web-based applications/services.
• Assists the Head, Integrated Library Systems with front-end development of the Libraries’ Discovery Interface (UW Libraries Search --vendor product Ex Libris Primo)
• Serves as backup on Discovery interface and Integrated Library System (vendor product Ex Libris Alma) configurations.
• Prepare and maintain procedural and architectural documentation of software and systems
• Prepare end-user documentation. Provide technical support and expertise to system users.
• Occasionally be available to work off-hours to deal with serious service outages or to respond to immediate problems.
• Understands and abides by the Libraries Personal Communication Responsibilities. Communicates appropriately, effectively and positively. Plays an active role in staying informed and participating in Libraries and unit meetings, activities and events.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field and two years of relevant experience, or equivalent combination of education/experience
• Experience designing, developing or utilizing REST APIs
• Experience with collaborative version control such as Github
• Preferred knowledge in Integrated Library Systems and discovery interfaces
• Front end and back end development experience
• Experience with version release testing and feature testing
• Experience coding with accessibility standards in mind
• Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, and an understanding of the contributions a diverse workforce brings to the workplace.
Application Process: https://bit.ly/3vNLq3K
The application process for UW positions may include completion of a variety of online assessments to obtain additional information that will be used in the evaluation process. These assessments may include Work Authorization, Cover Letter, and/or others. Any assessments that you need to complete will appear on your screen as soon as you select “Apply to this position”. Once you begin an assessment, it must be completed at that time; if you do not complete the assessment you will be prompted to do so the next time you access your “My Jobs” page. If you select to take it later, it will appear on your "My Jobs" page to take when you are ready. Please note that your application will not be reviewed, and you will not be considered for this position until all required assessments have been completed.
How to apply
Published: Tuesday, May 3, 2022 16:24 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, May 3, 2022 16:24 UTC