Business Title: Web Developer
Reports to: Director of Technology, Digital Studies at the University of Chicago
Term: 6-month contract position, renewable for up to 3 years
Start date: Summer or Fall 2022
Work location: Hyde Park Chicago, UChicago campus. Primarily in-person with part-time remote option.
About the Unit
The OCHRE Data Service facilitates the use of the Online Cultural and Historical Research Environment (OCHRE) worldwide to record, integrate, analyze, publish, and preserve cultural and historical information in all of its digital forms. Affiliated with the program of Digital Studies of Language, Culture, and History of the Humanities Division at the University of Chicago, we provide computational support for research projects in the humanities, social sciences, and beyond.
· Collaborates and works with OCHRE Data Service, the Digital Library Development Center, and researchers to develop templates for data-driven academic projects published from the OCHRE database backend.
· Assists with the development of a publication API.
· Develops extensible web apps for use across various research projects.
· Provides estimates to complete tasks as needed.
· Manages work effectively to ensure that project milestones are met or identifies issues as needed.
· Implements publication and accessibility standards.
· Works with stakeholders to understand project publication goals.
· Minimum requirements include a college or university degree.
· Preference for a degree in computer science or data science with some experience in the humanities or social sciences.
· Minimum requirements include knowledge and skills developed through > 2 years of work experience in a related job.
· Preference for 3-5 years of experience developing web applications using the competencies listed below.
Experience and Competencies
· XML stack (XML, XPath, XQuery) — minimum 3 years.
· Experience with server-side rendering strategies using Node.js.
· Familiarity with PHP for API authoring.
· Familiarity with digital humanities, textual studies, and spatial data (GIS).
· Familiarity with publication frameworks helpful but not essential (e.g., Vue.js).
· Proven ability to create and deploy web solutions to data-driven projects.
· Ability to develop against project specifications.
Dr. Miller C. Prosser
Associate Director of Digital Studies
University of Chicago
How to apply
Submitted by: email@example.com
Published: Monday, May 2, 2022 23:41 UTC
Last updated: Monday, May 2, 2022 23:41 UTC