The University of Nevada, Las Vegas invites applications for Data Visualization and GIS Specialist, University Libraries [R0129811]. More information about the position is below. To review the full vacancy announcement and apply go to: https://nshe.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/UNLV-External/job/UNLV1-Maryland-Campus/Data-Visualization-and-GIS-Specialist--University-Libraries--R0129811-_R0129811
ROLE of the POSITION
The Data Visualization and GIS (geographic information system) Specialist works collaboratively with library faculty and staff to support ongoing development, design, and delivery of data visualization and GIS services. The Specialist will serve as lead for the department's GIS services and as such will also lead the department's geospatial visualization services. The Specialist will participate collaboratively in additional data visualization services provided by the department, based on skills of the incumbent and departmental need.
Through outreach to faculty, students, and interdisciplinary campus groups, the Specialist promotes and engages the UNLV community with the Libraries' data visualization and GIS services. The Specialist exercises leadership and expertise in developing and evolving support and services across disciplinary boundaries, connecting the Libraries with the emerging data needs of the University. The Specialist identifies, investigates, evaluates, and implements emerging hardware, software, and technologies that support GIS and data visualization. Additionally, the Specialist creates guides, interfaces, and uses digital learning objects to enhance and scale Data Visualization and GIS services.
VACCINATION MANDATE POLICY
Per the Nevada System of Higher Education (NSHE) Emergency COVID-19 Employee Vaccination Policy, all NSHE employees must be vaccinated against COVID-19 or have an approved medical or religious waiver request. All candidates for employment must have this information on file with Human Resources prior to their start date. Information about how the policy applies to new hires is now available on the COVID-19 Employee Vaccine Mandate webpage.
This position requires an earned Bachelor's Degree from a regionally accredited college or university by the date of appointment.
- Competence and sensitivity in working with individuals who are highly diverse regarding many facets of identity, including but not limited to gender, ethnicity, nationality, sexual orientation, ability, income, level of educational attainment, and religion.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including the ability to describe relatively complex technical concepts to a non-technical audience.
- Demonstrated skill, and capacity to teach and engage students in ways that contribute to student success
- Knowledge of GIS best practices including geospatial visualization and analysis
- Experience analyzing and representing geospatial data using GIS software packages that may include ESRI products, QGIS, or other geospatial products
- Ability to work creatively, collaboratively, and effectively to promote teamwork within the Libraries and the campus
- Experience providing instruction on Data Visualization and GIS in a higher education setting
- Experience visualizing data using tools such as Tableau, Venngage, Gephi, etc.
- Experience using programming languages like R or Python for developing, analyzing, and representing geospatial data
- Demonstrated aptitude for quickly learning new tools and technologies
This is a full-time, 12-month, Administrative Faculty position at a Grade B. Minimum salary is $50,000. Salary is competitive with those at similarly situated institutions and dependent upon labor market. Position is contingent upon funding.
In addition, University Libraries is committed to and helps fund professional development opportunities: each position receives annual allotment for professional development activities.
Residents of Nevada enjoy no state income tax. Home to many major annual conventions, Las Vegas is one of the best-connected cities in America and the nearest major city to several of the nation's richest natural treasures. In addition to the world-renowned Las Vegas Strip providing a variety of culinary and entertainment opportunities, Las Vegas is home to five professional athletic organizations and continues to expand local cultural opportunities, including the internationally recognized Smith Center for the Performing Arts. To learn more about living in Las Vegas visit our guide at https://guides.library.unlv.edu/lasvegas/welcome.
How to apply
Published: Wednesday, April 20, 2022 02:16 UTC
Last updated: Wednesday, April 20, 2022 02:16 UTC