Reporting to the Associate University Librarian for Digital Strategies & Technology (DST), the Library Technology Program Coordinator will plan, coordinate and administer the Duke University Libraries (DUL) technology program for staff and users. The program coordinator will serve as the liaison between OIT and DUL staff for the planning of technology refresh implementations for general and specialized staff computing, public computing and technology, and prepares the annual and reserve budgets that fund these programs. This position initiates, reviews and manages contracts essential to the work of the division. This position will regularly communicate to staff and public technology programs on behalf of DST, and will serve as a member of the DST Leadership Team.
Technology Program DUL Coordination (45%):
- Works closely with DUL leadership and departments to understand the technology needs and requirements that will advance staff operational performance and public user experience to meet DUL priorities.
- Coordinates refresh planning and installation of technology, including staff and public workstations, audio/visual meeting rooms, and specialized library technologies.
- Provides timely communication to department heads and staff regarding technology planning, implementations, and high-priority support issues.
- Develops, coordinates, and advises staff regarding program policy and changes in program policies or procedures with an operational impact.
- Monitors and evaluates technology program effectiveness using qualitative and quantitative research techniques; investigates trends, and recommends and implements modifications to improve program effectiveness.
Technology Program External Coordination (35%):
- Maintains liaison with OIT on annual and planned project implementation and installation of technology and on-going or ad hoc high priority support issues in DUL.
- Maintains liaison with OIT Security and Identity Management on planned or pending technology program requirements and change to lead communication with appropriate DST teams and staff.
Technology Program Business Management (15%):
- Maintains and updates library technology program inventory data.
- In conjunction with DST department heads and AUL DST, prepares annual operating and reserve fund budgets for staff, public, and specialized computing, software licenses, and technology service contracts; creates and regularly updates cost projections, reserve fund balances, depreciation schedules and multi-year budgets.
- In conjunction with Business Services, initiates, reviews and maintains contracts with vendors and service providers.
- Prepare budgets; monitors, verifies and reviews expenditure of budgeted funds as appropriate; prepares semi-annual variance reporting of assigned funds.
Performs other related duties as assigned (5%)
It is the expectation that all Duke University Libraries staff members will demonstrate exceptional workplace behaviors in the execution of their specific position responsibilities. These behaviors are customer focus, collaboration, creative problem solving, continuous learning, and a commitment to creating a culture of inclusion that values and respects diversity of perspective, background, and experience.
Required: Work requires analytical, communications, and organizational skills generally acquired through completion of a bachelor's degree program or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
Required: Work requires three years of experience in program administration activities to acquire skills necessary to plan, coordinate and implement a variety of program activities and events.
Preferred: Technology planning experience; academic technology planning experience; working knowledge of technology inventory management tools; demonstrated successful project management experience; ability to create and maintain spreadsheets and analyze data; experience using SAP R3; knowledge of Duke’s accounting system, policies and procedures; budget experience, including forecasting and depreciation scheduling; contract review and negotiation experience; must be flexible and a self-starter; possess excellent organizational, interpersonal, and oral and written communication skills; demonstrated ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships; commitment to providing outstanding customer service.
- Eligible to work remotely if they currently reside in California, Florida, Georgia, Maryland, New York, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, or Washington, DC.
- Normal office environment.
These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee in this position. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of a person in this position. This description is subject to change at any time.
Salary and Benefits
Salary dependent on qualifications and experience; anticipated salary range is $50,000-$65,000. Comprehensive benefits package includes 15 days vacation, 13 holidays, 12 days sick leave; health, dental, disability and life insurance and support for professional development and training.
Since its founding in 1924, Duke University has grown into one of the most prestigious private universities in the world and its medical center ranks annually among the top in the nation. The Duke University Libraries are the shared center of the university's intellectual life, connecting people and ideas. The Libraries consist of the Perkins Library, Bostock Library, Rubenstein Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Lilly Library, and Music Library, and the library at the Duke Marine Laboratory in Beaufort. Duke's library holdings of 6.2 million volumes are among the largest of private universities in the United States.
Duke is a diverse community committed to the principles of excellence, fairness, and respect for all people. As part of this commitment, we actively value diversity in our workplace and learning environments as we seek to take advantage of the rich backgrounds and abilities of everyone. We believe that when we understand, celebrate, and tap into our uniqueness to creatively solve problems and address shared goals, our possibilities are limitless. Duke University Libraries value diversity of thought, perspective, experience, and background and are actively committed to a culture of inclusion and respect.
Duke's hometown is Durham, North Carolina, a city with vibrant research, medical and arts communities, and numerous shops, restaurants and theaters. Durham is located in the Research Triangle, a growing metropolitan area of more than one million people that provides a wide range of cultural, recreational and educational opportunities. The Triangle is conveniently located just a few hours from the mountains and the coast, offers a moderate climate, and has been ranked among the best places to live and to do business.
Duke offers a comprehensive benefit package which includes both traditional benefits such as health insurance, leave time and retirement, as well as wide ranging work/life and cultural benefits. Details can be found at: http://www.hr.duke.edu/benefits/index.php.
An electronic resume, cover letter, and list of 3 references should be submitted at https://careers.duke.edu/ - Search for Requisition ID # 176748. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Applications which are missing any of the components listed above will not be reviewed.
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual’s age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status. The Duke University Libraries have a strong commitment to Affirmative Action and is actively seeking to increase the racial and ethnic diversity of our staff.
How to apply
Associate University Librarian for Digital Strategies & Technology
Published: Friday, February 25, 2022 00:13 UTC
Last updated: Friday, February 25, 2022 00:13 UTC