UAB Libraries seeks a forward-thinking, usability-focused, well-organized individual to join our team as Systems Librarian. Reporting to the Head of Emerging Technology and System Development unit in the UAB Libraries Technology and Technical Services department, the individual selected for this position will be responsible for the oversight of enterprise library systems including Alma/Primo, ILLiad, OCLC, EZproxy, products licensed through the Springshare platform, as well as the UAB Libraries website. The Systems Librarian will contribute to larger projects within the Technology and Technical Services department aimed at enhancing a variety of essential library services; will liaise with faculty and staff across library departments to enhance discovery, process management, and the physical library environment through system development; and will develop, initiate, manage, and evaluate quality control and quality improvement projects.
The UAB Libraries strongly supports life-long learning, and in collaboration with other members of the Technology and Technical Services Department, the Systems Librarian may provide technology training that enables library personnel to develop and maintain a high-level of ability using the systems around which the library builds research and learning support services.
An ideal candidate for this position will have a deep understanding of trends in library information technology and higher education; will enjoy using technology to solve problems; and adopts a user-centered approach to providing responsive and innovative library services.
Interested candidates are encouraged to apply at: https://uab.peopleadmin.com/postings/9521
- Hold primary responsibility for configuring, developing, sustaining the library services platform, discovery systems, and other systems used to manage library processes
- Supervise system support staff and departmental student assistants
- Evaluate and improve discoverability and usability of patron-facing systems
- Promote use of UAB Libraries systems by coordinating with library departments that provide research and instructional services, interlibrary loan, access to special collections, and user services
- Develop and maintain policies, procedures, and other types of documentation about library systems as needed
- Coordinate systems-related training for library personnel
- Collaborate across library departments to facilitate and improve daily operation of digital workflows housed in library systems such as acquisitions processes, discovery tasks, user account management, and item requests
- Work with campus IT, faculty, staff and students to troubleshoot and resolve access and other library systems-related issues
- Create clear and efficient workflows for data management and movement across the organization
- Provide information and data/statistics used in the analysis and evaluation of the performance of library systems
- Communicate changes in system functionality to library faculty and staff in a prompt and effective manner
- Work with vendors to monitor and troubleshoot performance issues with library systems
- Mentor colleagues within the Technology and Technical Services department as needed
- Keep abreast of developments and current trends in the Library Science discipline by reading appropriate publications, attending related conferences, webinars and meetings, and participating in professional groups and organizations at various levels (local, state, national, and international).
- Fulfill responsibilities of a UAB Libraries faculty member including engagement in professional activities, continuing scholarship, and service on library and campus committees as appropriate for the position
- Other duties as assigned
- An American Library Association-accredited master’s degree in Library and Information Science (MLS/MLIS/MSIS) is strongly preferred; however, special consideration will be given to applicants with advanced degrees in IT management, computer science, or related fields if combined with relevant professional experience
- Minimum of 3 years professional experience providing library system support, preferably in an academic setting
- Demonstrated knowledge of back-end management of a library services platform
- Strong understanding of the objectives of library discovery systems
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team with a flexible and adaptable attitude as well as a strong focus on customer service
- Demonstrated experience in building relationships across departments and diverse stakeholder groups
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills
- Enthusiasm and a high comfort level with innovation and change related to technology and systems
- Self-directed and well organized; can perform complicated tasks with minimal supervision
- Additional advanced degree or continuing education certifications in IT management or related field
- Record of scholarly and professional activity illustrating a desire to advance the profession, especially in the area of technical services
- 3-5 years of experience managing library services within the Ex Libris library services platform, EZproxy configuration, or other related library systems
- Experience administrating local and hosted library systems including configuration, troubleshooting, security, users, profiles, policies, circulation, acquisitions, cataloging, serials management, and statistical data reporting
- Demonstrated professional experience working across several library departments and adapting to changing environments and workflows
- Working knowledge of web technologies, programming languages, and data transformation processes
- Experience using APIs for external system integrations
- Experience managing IT support staff in areas relating to desktop computing
- Experience coordinating with organizational IT and across departments to troubleshoot and resolve access and other systems-related issues
- Ex Libris product certifications such as Ex Libris Alma Administrator or Ex Libris Primo Administrator
- Knowledge of Banner and Oracle applications in higher education
- Awareness of issues surrounding scholarly communication, open access, customer experience, and interface accessibility across diverse user populations
- Awareness of current trends related to library technical services and system administration
- Awareness of issues related to knowledge management and business continuity planning
- Knowledge of current best practices in enterprise information technology system management
- Demonstrated project management experience or project management certification(s)
- Previous supervisory experience
UAB Libraries are committed to advancing equitable access to information, intellectual freedom, and the public good for the UAB community and the community at large. We recognize our social responsibility to advocate for marginalized voices and to inform and educate to promote diversity, equity, inclusion, and mutual respect.
UAB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer committed to fostering a diverse, equitable and family-friendly environment in which all faculty and staff can excel and achieve work/life balance irrespective of, race, national origin, age, genetic or family medical history, gender, faith, gender identity and expression as well as sexual orientation. UAB also encourages applications from individuals with disabilities and veterans. A pre-employment background check investigation is performed on candidates selected for employment.
About the University of Alabama at Birmingham Libraries
The UAB Libraries encompass Lister Hill Library of the Health Sciences, Mervyn H. Sterne Library, J. Ellis Sparks Medical Library, Reynolds Finley Historical Library, Alabama Museum of the Health Sciences and the UAB Archives. The UAB Libraries are dedicated to developing high-quality programming in Digital and Information Literacy, Emerging Technologies, Scholarly Communication, Digitization and Digital Scholarship. To learn more about the UAB Libraries visit https://library.uab.edu/
About the University of Alabama at Birmingham
The University of Alabama at Birmingham is a world-class research university that was recently ranked 1st on the 2021 Forbes list of America’s Best Large Employers. The university has many nationally-recognized academic programs and with 16 graduate and professional programs in Health Professions, Nursing, Medicine, Engineering, Education, Business and Public Health, and the College of Arts and Sciences ranked in the 2020 U.S. News Best Graduate School Rankings.
To learn more about the University of Alabama at Birmingham click visit http://www.uab.edu/home/
About Birmingham, Alabama
Known as The Magic City, Birmingham, Alabama, boasts one of the lowest costs of living and highest amount of green space per capita of any comparably sized city. A city with a complex history, Birmingham aims to become the most robust and inclusive technology hub in the southeast. Birmingham is home to several innovation-driven initiatives including The Switch District and Innovation Depot, TechBirmingham and EdFarm, focused on technology-centered workforce and economic development. The Birmingham business community includes Shipt, and Regions Bank.
The City of Birmingham supports a number of initiatives aimed at developing a model inclusive and resilient economy. The city’s Birmingham Promise program offers scholarships to help pay for college tuition and fees in Alabama public colleges for graduates of Birmingham Public Schools. For more information on living and working in Birmingham, Alabama visit the Jefferson County Website: https://www.jccal.org/ or the Birmingham Business Alliance: https://www.birminghambusinessalliance.com/
Last updated: Wednesday, February 23, 2022 17:10 UTC