Research Librarian I
Title: Research Librarian I
Organization: American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME)
Location: Washington, D.C. – position is full-time on site
Salary: Starts at $77,637 with union-negotiated wage/step increases.
Benefits: Comprehensive benefits package (see below and https://afscme.org/about/careers/benefits).
Department: Research & Collective Bargaining
Grade: United Staff Union — Grade 8
To be considered: Please send an email with an attached cover letter and resume to: email@example.com. Include the position title, and if you are a current member of an AFSCME Local, in the subject line of your email.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received and considered until the position is filled.
DUTIES, REQUIREMENTS AND DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS
This position is responsible for providing information and research services to union staff and leadership. The ideal candidate will be adept at: contributing to the management, organization, and assessment of the library collection including serials management and cataloging; researching, analyzing, and disseminating information from diverse sources in response to patron requests; providing outreach and instruction services for users of the Information Center; and selecting and distributing news and other relevant information for a targeted audience.
- Researches, retrieves, analyzes and disseminates information from electronic and print sources in response to reference requests.
- Synthesizes research findings into structured, digestible reports for a variety of audiences.
- Assists with collection management responsibilities including overseeing the serials collection, cataloging, identifying and evaluating potential acquisitions, shelving and weeding the collection.
- Performs outreach and instructional services for staff and provides access, assistance and support for Information Center resources.
- Researches, selects and independently assembles and distributes articles for AFSCME Information Center blogs.
- Creates fact sheets, user guides, and other documentation on internal and external electronic communications to foster user self-sufficiency.
- Conducts presentations or instructional sessions for internal and external audiences.
- Remains knowledgeable on issues affecting AFSCME members.
- Performs other general duties as assigned.
Education and Experience Requirements:
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university; an advanced degree in library or information science is strongly preferred, and three to five years of experience in a library or similar setting which provides the following skills.
- Ability to identify requestors’ needs through use of reference interviews and craft effective search strategies to address those needs.
- Ability to perform sound research and make logical conclusions, including evaluating and analyzing data from diverse sources.
- Ability to synthesize research findings and write clear, organized reports of research results.
- Skilled in the use of digital technologies and experienced with electronic library information systems, databases and other information management and retrieval tools.
- Ability to evaluate, abstract and analyze data and technical information from diverse sources.
- Knowledge of library administration principles.
- Experience with knowledge and information management principles, strategies and technologies.
- Ability to develop positive working relationships with colleagues and Information Center users.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple demands and deadlines and to balance short- and long-term priorities.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Commitment to AFSCME’s mission.
- Experience with serials management, including EzProxy and troubleshooting subscriptions.
- Working knowledge of advanced search logic techniques and optimal usage of complex legal, business and news databases.
- Experience with library technical services including administration of OPAC software or other discovery systems and knowledge of metadata and cataloging standards.
- Familiarity with data and information management technologies such as content management system administration, HTML, digital asset management and relational database structures.
- Interest in labor relations and public sector institutions, law and policy issues.
AFSCME is an equal opportunity employer, and, as such, does not discriminate an employee or applicant on the basis of race, creed, color, age, sex, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, religious affiliation, disability, or any other classification protected from discrimination under applicable law.
- Full employer-paid health insurance for employee and family, including major medical, hospitalization, prescription drugs, vision, dental and orthodontia
- Health insurance for domestic partners
- Paid short term disability
- Paid long term disability
- Defined benefit pension plan (jointly paid)
- 401(k) savings plan
- Full employer-paid life insurance and accidental death benefits
- 3 weeks earned vacation per year
- 12 days earned sick leave per year
- 13 paid holidays per year
- Paid holiday release Christmas to New Year’s Day
- Tuition assistance reimbursement plan
- Dependent care assistance plan (flexible spending account)
Employees filling a United Staff Union bargaining unit position are required to join the union and pay membership dues.
How to apply
Please send an email with an attached cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Include the position title, and if you are a current member of an AFSCME Local, in the subject line of your email.
Published: Tuesday, November 30, 2021 21:50 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, November 30, 2021 21:50 UTC