Location: Calvert Library Prince Frederick
Work from home flexibility with ~2 weeks of onsite training and periodic onsite projects in multiple locations up to 30 days/year. Work and project hours may include some nights and weekends.
Reports to: Network Supervisor
Supervises: Not a supervisory position
FLSA Status: Exempt
The Systems Administrator is responsible for the day-to-day support of the library servers. The work requires specialized training and experience in server operating systems, server-based applications, server services and server security. Position requires working well with users, performing under pressure, balancing demanding day-to-day assignments with long-term projects, and supporting weekend maintenance and upgrade projects. This position may require the employee to work in multiple locations. Continuing formal and self-education is required to keep up to date with constantly evolving technologies.
Calvert Library has adopted the following core values that drive both internal operations and relationships with customers and partners:
- We embrace change, take risks, and learn from mistakes.
- We collaborate within our library locations, our community, our region and our state.
- We value individual creativity and diversity.
- We learn and facilitate the learning of others to empower and transform lives.
- We engage and build community.
Essential Job Functions:
- Responsible for administration and maintenance of servers in a Windows 2019 Domain environment. Including but not limited to: Active Directory, DNS, DHCP, Group Policy, File/Storage Services (DFSR), Print Services, and Updates/Patches/Hotfixes.
- Responsible for establishing and monitoring controls to evaluate server performance, throughput, and security; takes appropriate action to ensure 24x7 accessibility and reliability of library server services.
- Assists with System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM), Web Servers, Remote Desktop Services (RDS), and Microsoft SQL Server.
- Assist with troubleshooting IT hardware and software issues to include servers, laptops, desktops, tablets, mobile devices, printers, and VPN issues necessary for services and internet access in the library system.
- Researches, evaluates and recommends the best use of information technology (i.e., server architecture changes, new hardware, and software standardization) in meeting the public’s and library’s needs.
- Makes risk-based assessments of library data and server backups; makes recommendations for a plan of action based on priority, policy and risk.
- Stays current on security best practices to safeguard the library network and data and to ensure the confidentiality, integrity and availability of library network and data.
- Stays abreast of emerging threats and zero-day vulnerabilities.
- Serves as secondary point of contact (after Network Supervisor) for Intrusion Detection and coordinates responses to breaches and other attacks.
- Communicates understanding and support of organization goals and programs through actions and spoken and written words; interacts effectively with individuals and groups at all levels; maintains ties with external organizations; keeps all interested and involved parties informed of matter requiring their attention.
- Document detailed notes in the ticketing system daily and provide customers with accurate and timely updates
- Provides leading edge technical advice to all departments.
- Communicates project progress, effectiveness, and status to management, teams and outside agencies.
- Prepares technical specifications, documentation, and correspondence, and other communications.
- Assists with training staff/customers on technology and its implementation, both one-on-one and in a group
- Takes appropriate action to keep projects on schedule and within established human and financial constraints.
- Procures, stores and distributes supplies and materials economically and efficiently.
- Assists with grants, e-rate, contract documents and submissions.
- Position will require occasional after-hours weekend work for deployment, maintenance and upgrade projects.
- Subject to call in or to remain on the job for emergencies.
- Position will require the employee to work in multiple locations on occasion.
- Work is subject to deadlines and frequent interruptions.
- Perform related work as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Principles and best practices for server operating systems and services, access rights, and server-based applications including web services and electronic messaging.
- Principles, standards, and best practices for installation, configuration, and management of desktop/laptop computer, client/server software and peripherals.
- Knowledge of project management process
- Analytical skills to solve complex technical problems and recommend alternatives.
- Effective oral and written communication, particularly for complex technical issues.
- Deliver excellent internal and external customer service
- Work effectively and calmly under pressure and make judgments in accordance with established policies and procedures
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with others encountered in the work place
- Transition quickly between tasks and reprioritize workload
- Plan, implement and maintain secure and complex telecommunication and network systems and service.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with others encountered in the work.
- Deal effectively with the public
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field
Associates degree in computer science or related field & 2 years of progressively responsible experience working in computer related position
4 years of progressively responsible experience working in computer related position
- 2 years of experience that includes responsibility for Microsoft Active Directory account and permissions management, GPO implementation, DNS/DHCP and other server services.
- Preferred: Library experience.
Licenses or Certificates:
- Desirable certifications: MCSA, MCSE, Server+, Security+ or other related certifications. Proof of completed coursework can be substituted for certification.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Requires reaching, bending and carrying moderate to heavy loads, up to 50 pounds of weight
- Requires ability to move about the library
- Requires ability to operate a keyboard and view a computer monitor
- Requires ability to communicate using a telephone
- Requires ability to carry and replace computers, monitors and related equipment
- Requires ability to travel from branch to branch
- Requires ability to climb a ladder in order to run cabling or access wireless access points
The above job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions of this job.
How to apply
Submitted by: firstname.lastname@example.org
Published: Monday, April 26, 2021 17:44 UTC
Last updated: Monday, April 26, 2021 17:44 UTC