IT Systems Engineer (temporary)
The University of Denver Library brings the history of cultural experience to successive generations, enabling each to gain insight into the human endeavor. The Library is central to discovery and creative interaction among students and faculty. The Library links information and the University community regardless of the location of the information or the individual seeking it.
Reporting to the Information Technologies Librarian, this non-benefited, 6-month temporary position (not to exceed 1,000 hours in a calendar year) will work in the University Libraries, Library Technology Services (LTS) department (three full-time staff consisting of an Information Technologies Librarian and two Software Developers). LTS works collaboratively with campus IT and other departments to maintain library systems, this includes maintenance, upgrades, and setting high level strategic direction for our library technology infrastructure. LTS also develops library applications, focusing on working with open source technologies and building them in a sustainable manner.
Why work in Library Technology Services?
We promote a flexible work environment focused on developing staff and building their careers. This position includes:
- Project selection based on skills and expertise.
- Remote work possible with regular check ins.
- Opportunities for professional development (including training and workshops).
- Community participation - we encourage participation in open source library software.
What you’ll do
This is a project-based position, focused on discrete projects with concrete goals and deliverables to be met during your term. You will collaborate very closely with campus IT, in particular the Information Security and Operations and Infrastructure departments. High priority projects include:
- Performing application migrations - we are rebuilding our service portfolio to streamline the management of our applications and software. A number of applications need to be migrated and tested in our Red Hat environment, and a number of applications need to be systematically decommissioned.
- Developing testing suites for applications.
- Optimizing our Elastic environment and consolidating our cluster with campus IT.
- Maintaining and updating our digital repository and its third-party integrations.
Other potential projects include:
- Configuring our Docker environment.
- Manage applications and setup monitoring in Solar Winds.
- Continuous integration, testing suites integration.
- Workflow optimization using git and github.
Some ongoing, operational duties will also be required as part of this position:
- Debugging and troubleshooting systems.
- Security patches and monitoring.
- Systems and application configuration.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of software engineering best practices (e.g. coding, unit testing, code reviews, system design and documentation).
- Understanding of modern web application architecture (microservices, automation, deployment, DevOps, web servers, search engines such as Solr, Elastic).
- Great communication and teamwork skills.
- High school diploma or GED
- Two years educational background or equivalent professional/work experience in computer science, information systems, information security, database and systems administration
- Experience with Linux server administration
- Experience with databases such as SQL, PostgreSQL, MongoDB
- Experience with automating processes and debugging applications and servers
- Experience using Github or version control systems
Part-Time, Varies, 20 hours per week.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by 4:00 p.m. (MST) on March 9, 2020.
Candidates must apply online through www.jobs.du.edu to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
The hourly rate for the position is $20.00 - $22.00.
Please include the following documents with your application:
2. Cover Letter
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of age, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, military/ veteran status or any other status protected by law.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.
Advertised: February 19, 2020
Applications close: Open until filled
How to apply
Published: Wednesday, February 19, 2020 21:43 UTC
Last updated: Wednesday, February 19, 2020 21:43 UTC