The University of Michigan Library is one of the world’s largest academic research libraries and serves a vibrant university community that is home to 19 schools and colleges, 100 top ten graduate programs, and annual research expenditures exceeding $1.5 billion a year. To enable the university’s world-changing work and to serve the public good, the library collects, preserves, and shares the scholarly and cultural record in all existing and emerging forms, and leads the reinvention of the academic research library in the digital age.
The Library is seeking an experienced Applications Developer who can build and implement critical integrations between multiple computer systems. As a member of the Automation, Indexing, and Metadata (AIM) staff, the successful candidate for this three-year position will work closely with both staff in AIM (who are responsible for the Alma Library Services Platform, to which we are currently migrating) and staff in the Design & Discovery (D&D) Department (who are responsible for the development and maintenance of our front-end systems). The successful candidate will work to develop integrations between the Alma platform and the front-end systems, including Library Search, Library Patron Account, etc. The integration programmer will also develop new or improved functionality to replace some critical features/options that may not be available directly in Alma, and will likely also interact with other important library stakeholders.
The Library is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and encourages all employees to fully incorporate their diverse backgrounds, skills, and life experiences into their work.
This position will be a full-time, three-year term appointment.
- Implement integrations between user-facing front end systems and the Alma Library Services Platform
- Develop new features to replace Aleph system functionality that will not be provided by Alma (e.g., Precision Search)
- Analyze business needs to recommend improvements and new features
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related field, with three to five years of relevant experience, or an equivalent amount of experience and education
- Demonstrated programming skills in one or more modern programming languages
- Experience working with web technologies
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Able to work both independently and in close collaboration with a team
- Ability to understand diverse perspectives and acknowledge the significance of differences and complexities in backgrounds, cultures, values, and viewpoints as the foundation for an inclusive environment
- Experience with Unix/Linux
- Experience programming in one or more of: Ruby on Rails, Java, Python, or similar languages
- Experience working with restful APIs and/or other techniques for linking multiple disparate systems
- Practical familiarity with business logic, workflow implementation, and complex integration of applications and web services
- Experience with a Library Services Platform (especially Alma from Ex Libris) and/or an Integrated Library System (especially Aleph from Ex Libris)
- Experience building and/or maintaining SOLR indexes
- Familiarity with bibliographic/descriptive metadata standards and practices
Minimum salary for this position is $62,000. Classification will either be at the Applications Programmer/Analyst Intermediate or Applications Programmer/Analyst Senior level. Final salary and classification will be determined by experience and qualifications.
The University of Michigan offers excellent benefits and wellness opportunities.
This position receives 24 days of vacation a year, and 15 days of sick leave a year with provisions for extended benefits, as well as opportunities for professional development and travel. TIAA-CREF and Fidelity Investments retirement options available.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
How to apply
Submitted by: email@example.com
Published: Tuesday, February 4, 2020 00:19 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 4, 2020 00:19 UTC