PTFS, a privately owned, Maryland-based company providing digital archiving and library solutions, as well as professional services including digitization, library staffing, and integration services, has an immediate opening for a Systems Librarian at a client site in Springfield, VA.
PTFS is seeking a self-motivated, innovative systems librarian to support an academic government library. The library has moved into an electronic information environment over the last five years and this position will help the library’s elite reference team to continue to expand and enhance services to their user community. The library will continue to maintain a small MARC-based print collection, so the existing Symphony ILS will serve as the backbone for the collection’s descriptive and inventory needs. The successful candidate will be able to make HTML changes to the Symphony OPAC to allow for external resources to be searched and results displayed appropriately. The candidate should have experience covering:
- Perform system administration for SirsDynix Symphony, including but not limited to, archives/digital asset management, daily back-up maintenance, report creation/modification, customization and coding of the Sirsi interface, and vendor support coordination with enterprise IT department.
- Design, develop and maintain electronic interfaces on all library websites, including but not limited to, updating, optimizing, composing, and creating content in electronic format, performing coding in creating HTML5/CSS files, and performing coding to customize website using SharePoint, Springshare LibGuides and other platforms.
- Collaborate with key enterprise members for implementing enterprise taxonomy effort by experience with authoritative classifications and metadata associations
ensuring traceability throughout learning assets optimizing access and enterprise/student discovery.
- Collaborate with enterprise IT to support authentication and single sign-on access, ensure systems documentation is updated and compliant, ensure systems security support, ensure established HTML5/CSS standards are consistently implemented on all library/enterprise websites/electronic interfaces, and ensure Section 508 accessibility requirements and compliance on 100% of library/enterprise websites/electronic interfaces.
- · Monitor industry trends and best practices related to information access and discovery, and recommend improvements to existing tools and workflows as appropriate.
- Provide leadership in solving problems associated with delivery of enterprise learning assets and electronic resources.
- Maintain and optimize library federated searching tool to incorporate up-to-date library/enterprise resources.
- Track, develop, and maintain usage metrics/analytics for online products and services used by library and report monthly.
- Familiarity with 3D printing and item production, training and promotion with faculty and students.
- · Research, plan, develop, and implement training for library staff/programs on new and emerging technologies monthly, and provide ad hoc
training as needed.
- Collaborate with DAU IT for technical support on library staff computers and equipment as needed.
- All services and projects should be performed, managed and delivered with high quality results, analysis, and attention to detail, customer-focused, and within designated schedules/deadlines.
Requirements: Specific requirements for the position include:
- At least 4 years hands-on experience as a Symphony administrator
- Working knowledge of the UNIX operating system
- At least 4 years demonstrated experience supporting web technologies such as HTML, XML and CSS
- At least 2 years demonstrated experience creating and coding Unix shell scripts
- Experience creating and coding web accessible electronic interfaces for databases using advanced technologies
- Must stay abreast of new library focused technologies and be able to recommend a better system than Symphony, if a better system can be found
- Four years post-MLS library experience
- MS Library/Information Science Required.
How to apply
Published: Wednesday, September 18, 2019 21:21 UTC
Last updated: Wednesday, September 18, 2019 21:21 UTC