Job Purpose: The Library Web Developer develops, designs, and contributes to the integration of the library website and other library systems and platforms. This requires design and customization of the user interface of library-specific Software-as-Service digital asset management platforms, web-based information management systems, and discovery tools; and the integration of web applications such as the reservation system, digital signage software, social media and more. The ideal candidate is able to interact with members of the organization and campus community, including the library’s leadership team, key stakeholders, and users in order to create an innovative, visually appealing, and intuitive website and public facing library platforms and systems.
Reporting to the Director of Digital Strategies and Scholarship Division (DSS), this position will work closely with a team of library technologists within DSS, as well as with key collaborators across the library, TCCS and the campuses to meet the research, teaching, and learning needs of faculty, students, and staff of the Claremont Colleges. Primary responsibilities include strategic management of the library’s website, contributing to the development of all library systems and platforms on a project basis, identifying and recommending best practices in digital user experience and other related tasks.
Essential functions: The incumbent performs these essential duties and responsibilities.
- Collaboratively designs and integrates library branding into the library website, platforms, and systems.
- Continuously improves web accessibility to exceed established standards.
- Ensures that the library website and all user web applications comply with secure coding standards and maintain a secure environment.
- Tests, debugs and troubleshoots; utilizing the appropriate technology.
- Collaborates on user testing to evaluate user needs, behaviors, preferences, and trends.
- Selects existing or creates new plugins, Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) and User Interface (UI) frameworks to extend and enhance the user experience.
- Creates and documents workflows and best practices as relates to upkeep, revisions to content, design, and functionality of library website, systems and platforms.
- Implements robust and adaptable tools and workflows for gathering user experience analytics.
- Serves on library, TCCS, and Claremont Colleges’ committees and interest groups, as assigned.
- Completes other tasks as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field or an equivalent amount of experience and education.
- Three to five years’ experience with WordPress, including installation, configuration and site implementation.
- Experience with selecting, evaluating, and debugging WordPress plugins, and developing new custom code when no existing plugin precisely fulfills a particular need.
Required Knowledge and Critical Skills:
- A commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and to creating and sustaining a diverse and inclusive work and learning environment.
- Deep knowledge of user-centered design processes and methodologies.
- Understanding of mobile design UX/UI.
- Demonstrated experience with of Python, SQL, PHP or other backend development languages.
- Demonstrated experience in Web Accessibility Standards and Application.
- Knowledge of responsive design principles.
- Ability to learn and support new systems and applications.
- Ability to meet assigned deadlines.
- Strong communication skills and problem-solving abilities, including ability to communicate with users of varying technological backgrounds.
- Ability to work harmoniously and as a team player, thrive in a team-based environment, and employ skill in fostering teamwork among others.
Preferred Knowledge and Critical Skills:
- Knowledge of integrating WordPress with Single Sign-On systems such as Shibboleth.
- Familiarity with agile development methodologies.
- Experience managing web/digital/technical projects (or related experience).
- Experience with relational databases.
- Experience developing RESTful APIs
- Experience with test-driven development.
- Experience with web application automated testing.
How to apply
Published: Saturday, July 27, 2019 02:34 UTC
Last updated: Saturday, July 27, 2019 02:34 UTC