Metadata Librarian I
The Northeastern University Library is seeking a motivated professional for the position of Metadata Librarian I in the Library’s Resource and Discovery Services Department.
The Metadata Librarian works in a highly collaborative setting to support discovery and access to library collections through the creation, maintenance, and enhancement of metadata across discovery platforms and library systems. Under the general supervision of the Supervisor, Digital Metadata and Ingest, this position provides descriptive and authority metadata for digital, physical, and archival research collections and projects in all subjects according to nationally recognized data structure, content, value, and format/technical standards. The Metadata Librarian uses various approved and appropriate library and archival metadata schema, controlled vocabularies and content standards to support access to digital and analog resources. The Metadata Librarian updates and maintains metadata in the Library’s Digital Repository Service, the Library’s online discovery service (Primo), and the unified resource management system (Alma). The position works with the Alma/Primo integration, writing and enabling normalization rules for record display and faceting in Primo. The incumbent is also responsible for managing and supervising metadata projects, including original and retrospective cataloging using MODS and MARC.
Northeastern University’s vibrant campus is located right in the heart of Boston, within walking distance to museums and other cultural institutions. The University Library, at the hub of the campus, supports the teaching, learning, and research needs of the university community in all disciplines.
- Master’s degree from an ALA-accredited library science program.
- Some academic library experience preferred creating metadata/cataloging records and performing authority control using current metadata structure, content, value, and format/technical standards, and a bibliographic utility.
- Knowledge of established and emerging national and international standards relating to metadata and classification. Experience with Dublin Core and/or MODS, MARC, AACR2, RDA, LCSH required. Some experience with original metadata creation and retrospective metadata projects preferred.
- Working knowledge of metadata tools and systems for creating, editing, and transforming metadata such as XML, XSLT, Oxygen, MarcEdit, and/or OpenRefine.
- Experience with Ex Libris Alma and Primo systems preferred.
- Knowledge of trends and issues in academic libraries, scholarly communications, higher education, publishing, and metadata developments.
- Excellent planning, analytical, interpersonal, communication, supervisory, project management, and organizational skills.
- Must be self-motivated, detail-oriented, with good team-working skills, a strong service orientation, and a demonstrated commitment to staff development and diversity in the workplace.
For more information about this position and Northeastern University’s generous benefits, please visit: https://neu.peopleadmin.com/postings/61897
Northeastern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Educational Institution and Employer, Title IX University. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by the law. Northeastern University is an E-Verify Employer.
How to apply
Published: Friday, June 21, 2019 01:23 UTC
Last updated: Friday, June 21, 2019 01:23 UTC