The Jean and Alexander Heard Libraries at Vanderbilt University is comprised of nine libraries and the Fine Arts Gallery, as well as service departments in technical services, scholarly communications, IT infrastructure, and digital scholarship. We seek to create a welcoming environment and serve as a partner in research and scholarship. The libraries are dynamic places for faculty, staff, students, and alumni to reflect and discover. We also strive to be a workplace in which staff at every level continuously grow in knowledge and skills, staying abreast of advances and trends in librarianship to power relevant, vibrant research libraries.
The Jean and Alexander Heard Libraries are fundamental to the university’s goal of advancing scholarship and learning. We collect, preserve and make accessible a wide variety of resources, we partner with faculty and students to shape research, and we encourage the development of informed scholars and engaged citizens.
The Librarian for Digital Collections Support will be a part of the Library Technology & Digital Services (LTDS) team. As part of the LTDS team, this position will assist in supporting and developing applications for the Vanderbilt libraries. This position provides support for digital collections and projects, including the integrated library system (Alma).
Duties and Responsibilities
Provide technology and programming support for digital collections including
- Support for digital collections, including Islandora
- Support in determining appropriate schemas
- Create crosswalks between schemas and adding to search interface as appropriate
Collaborate with groups in the library to improve metadata and discoverability
- Create structures for exporting files from one system to another utilizing PHP, OAI-PMH, XML, etc.
- Working with others in the library to determine the best mapping of new resources between the existing format and records in Alma for discovery
- Provide support for utility programming for other library systems
Provide support for Cataloging/Metadata modules in Alma
- Alma configuration changes assuring consistency across modules
- Participate in the planning and preparation for loading and exporting large groups of records
- Provide limited support for analytics and reports
- Provide utility programming support for library systems
- Work with others to implement the best mapping of new resources records for discovery
- Assist in maintaining system integrations with other systems, including ArchivesSpace
Provide general technical support for staff in the library
- Provide some desktop support for library applications, including ILLiad, Alma, Spine-O-Matic, etc.
- Provide user support for account management
Other duties as assigned
- Committee work
- Professional development
Profile of an Ideal Candidate
- Minimum education required: MLS or MLIS
- Two years of experience working in an academic library or comparable environment is necessary
- Experience with web applications and APIs in a university library environment is preferred
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Able to balance multiple priorities simultaneously
- Experience with MARC and non-MARC metadata such as DC, MODS, VRACore, etc.
- Experience with a programming language (PHP, Ruby, Perl, Angular JS, etc.)
- Experience working with both Windows and Unix operating systems
- Experience working with web services
How to apply
Librarian for Application Services,
Library Technology and Digital Services
Published: Thursday, February 21, 2019 19:10 UTC
Last updated: Thursday, February 21, 2019 19:10 UTC