Web Developer (WordPress Specialist)
The Northeastern University Library is looking for a creative web developer who enjoys working on challenging projects in a highly collaborative environment and is interested in expanding the boundaries of digital library and scholarship services.
As a member of the Northeastern University Library development team, you will have opportunities to participate in grant-funded research, collaborate on cutting-edge digital scholarship projects, and lead the development of new tools and services. You will get to contribute to the development and customization of key systems in support of library services, and research in the humanities and social sciences. We would very much like to hear from you.
· Designing and implementing new features and functionality
· Establishing and guiding website architecture
· Ensuring high-performance, availability and managing all technical aspects of the CMS to include the development of upgrade/migration plans for sites.
· Helping formulate an effective, responsive design and turning it into working theme and plugin
The Web Developer works collaboratively with library colleagues, as well as others in ITS and across campus, with partners in some multi-institutional projects, and engages in the ongoing evaluation of emerging academic, library and web-design technologies.
· Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or a related field (or equivalent experience).
· Demonstrable experience developing websites with WordPress CMS required – (experience with Drupal a plus).
· Ability to customize and/or develop new WordPress modules, themes, templates and other tools.
· Significant experience designing and building user interfaces for websites and/or web applications.
· Significant experience using PHP for back-end development.
· Demonstrable experience designing and developing responsive design websites.
· Ability to work with debugging tools like firebug, Chrome inspector.
· Ability to understand CSS changes and their ramifications to ensure consistent style across platforms and browsers.
· Demonstrable awareness of and experience adopting web-accessibility standards and practices.
· Familiarity with relational databases, preferably mySQL/Mariadb.
· Experience with Web/Application servers: Apache, NGINX, Tomcat and UNIX based Operating systems.
· Ability to convert comprehensive layout and wireframes into working HTML pages
· Knowledge of how to interact with RESTful APIs and their export formats (JSON, XML etc.).
· Proficient understanding of code versioning tools (such as git, GitHub, SVN etc.).
· Excellent knowledge of database-driven web development using PHP.
· Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills and the ability to formulate options, develop, and recommend solutions.
· Demonstrable experience in collaborative and collegial teamwork within an entrepreneurial academic environment.
· Excellent oral and written skills, ability to communicate with technical and non-technical individuals, and prepare project documentation.
If you are interested in exploring new ways that technology can support the evolution of library services and enhance research in the humanities and social sciences, we would like very much to hear from you.
Review of applications begins on November 15, 2018.
For more information about this position, please visit
How to apply
Published: Friday, November 9, 2018 00:56 UTC
Last updated: Friday, November 9, 2018 00:56 UTC