Applications Systems Analyst/Developer, Principal
The University of Arizona’s (UA) Research, Discovery & Innovation (RDI) seeks dynamic, engaged, and collaborative applicants for the role of Applications Systems Analyst/Developer, Principal. RDI oversees three cultural institutions as part of the UA interdisciplinary arts, culture and society academic enterprise. Under RDI leadership, the cultural institutions – Arizona State Museum, UA Museum of Art, Center for Creative Photography – work in coordination with academic programs to leverage their intellectual resources and strengthen UA’s position by advancing collaborative research, scholarship, and engagement at the local, regional, national, and international levels. Located in Tucson, Arizona, the University of Arizona is one of the nation’s leading public universities and is ranked in the top 25 research universities nationwide.
Specifically, this position functions as a technology program manager for RDI’s cultural institutions, coordinating systems and database administration as well as support services. This position conducts user needs analysis and plans, designs, analyzes and implements complex applications systems and database solutions. In addition, it functions as a project manager, plans, organizes and directs project teams involved in large and/or complex applications projects. The position works in conjunction with the University Information Technology Services (UITS), RDI cultural institutions leadership, key collection managers, and relevant technology stakeholders. The position supervises one IT Systems Support Analyst staff member and two student assistants and participates in system software and related hardware installation, monitoring, maintenance, documentation and performance optimization.
The ideal candidate for this position will model the highest degree of professionalism as demonstrated in their work ethic and interpersonal engagement with colleagues. They will be a self-starter who takes initiative to master new skills and content areas in order to continually improve in the position. We are looking for someone who will work independently to take ownership of specific projects through to their successful completion but also will contribute to a team environment to advance the larger research mission of the University.
With more than $622 million in research and development dollars from federal, state, and private sources, The University of Arizona currently ranks #23 among public universities in the US in overall research expenditures and #6 in physical science research. With world class faculty in fields as diverse as astronomy and space exploration, plant science, biomedical science and biotechnology, anthropology, Native peoples, business, law, philosophy, music, and dance, the UA is one of only 62 members in the Association of American Universities. The University’s main campus is situated in the heart of Tucson. Surrounded by mountains and the high Sonoran Desert, Tucson boasts a distinctive southwestern feel and enjoys more than 300 days of sunshine each year.
The UA today has over 43,000 students, and nearly 15,600 employees. The main campus has grown from its original 40 acres to more than 350 acres, and boasts the oldest continually maintained green space in Arizona. The University of Arizona offers a broad range of educational programs and support services that attract an excellent and diverse student body.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state retirement plan; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been listed by Forbes as one of America’s Best Employers in the United States and WorldatWork and the Arizona Department of Health Services have recognized us for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona, please click here.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Develops and maintains coordinated systems infrastructure including collections management, database administration, digital asset management, data integrity, and e-commerce.
- Defines applications systems project scope and desired outcome(s), develops project plans, monitors progress, ensures deadlines are met and coordinates activities with other units.
- Designs required scope of functional and technical documentation. Ensures necessary documentation is maintained.
- Develops and implements effective communication strategies regarding all phases of projects to internal (e.g. UITS) and external (e.g. vendors) stake-holders.
- Directs and provides guidance to staff regarding applications systems analysis, design, development and implementation.
- Coordinates analysis of user application programming requests. Evaluates requests in terms of overall program goals and system functionality and determines appropriate solution.
- Evaluates database needs and works with vendors to design and develop local database applications. Directs implementation of vendor-created database systems.
- Coordinates applications program testing and quality assurance reviews. Selects testing standards, tools and methods. Reviews and approves final results.
- Coordinates ongoing operational research. Evaluates results and recommends selection of emerging and/or relevant methodologies, programming languages and technologies.
- Establishes and ensures operational workflows, compliance with current security and service policies, protocols and standards.
- Provides technical guidance to applications systems analysts, programmers and other technical staff regarding specialized applications.
- Writes, maintains and documents software code and programs applications using current tools and programming languages.
- Oversees RDI IT personnel in implementing coordinated IT support services (desktop, server, web), equipment, and software needs for RDI Cultural Institutions.
- Additional duties may be assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Knowledge of applications programming theory, principles and practices.
- Knowledge of the software development life cycle.
- Knowledge of current and emerging application programming and scripting languages and databases, particularly SQL and Oracle.
- Knowledge of current and emerging security and service protocols and standards.
- Knowledge of project management principles, methods and techniques.
- Skill in managing projects including organizational, team-based decision-making, work flow optimization, support services, personnel management, budgets, and report generation.
- Skill in using programming and scripting languages.
- Skill in managing cloud-based storage solutions, such as Amazon Glacier and S3.
- Skill in analyzing and responding to user requests.
- Skill in writing technical and functional documentation.
- Skill in conducting applications technology research.
- Skill in establishing and implementing appropriate testing and documentation protocols.
- Skill in planning and monitoring the work of others.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing with all levels of an organization and levels of technical knowledge.
Arizona Board of Regents Minimum Qualifications:
Six years of experience in programming applications systems using relevant technologies and programming languages; OR, an Associate’s degree in Computer Science or related field AND five years of experience in programming applications systems using relevant technologies and programming languages; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education.
- Demonstrated experience implementing and/or managing museum collections management systems (particularly TMS and EMu), digital asset management systems and online content for the cultural heritage community.
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week: 40
Benefits Eligible: Yes - Full Benefits
Posted Rate of Pay: $60,000 Annually
Please apply by August 29th at https://uacareers.com/postings/31621.
How to apply
Submitted by: email@example.com
Published: Saturday, August 11, 2018 00:54 UTC
Last updated: Saturday, August 11, 2018 00:54 UTC