Technology Services Librarian
The Technology Services Librarian is responsible for optimizing the library’s enterprise systems, including Alma/Primo, interlibrary loan, EZproxy, Preservica, and Digital Commons. This position provides the programming and technical expertise needed to support and integrate library systems and applications. The position also manages the library’s web presence and web applications. The Technology Services Librarian reports to the Technical Services Librarian. As a member of the UMW Libraries team of collaborative, forward-looking staff, the Technology Services Librarian will explore new technologies and identify opportunities for their effective application, including the potential integration with other university and library systems.
- Master’s degree in Library and Information Science or a comparable discipline.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Demonstrated ability to work with programming languages such as PHP, SQL, and Perl and demonstrated knowledge of XML. Experience working with these languages.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Ability to effectively troubleshoot technical problems, isolate causes, and implement solutions.
- Availability and willingness to work a flexible schedule, including occasional evenings and weekends.
- Experience with technologies needed to manage the enterprise environment including system administration tools (e.g. UNIX command structure, Apache, security standards)
- Experience creating and maintaining library web content and applications.
- At least one year of experience in an academic library setting.
Preferred Qualifications and Experience:
- Understanding of enterprise library applications such as integrated library systems, discovery services, OpenURL resolvers, proxy services, digital repositories, and interlibrary loan.
- Ability to integrate technology into the provision of library services.
- Aptitude and ability to develop in-depth knowledge of specialized library applications.
- Ability to work collaboratively with diverse colleagues, faculty, and students.
- Experience working with Ex Libris Alma and Primo systems, Exposure to research libraries with knowledge of public and technical services operations, as well as library standards (MARC, Dublin Core, OAI-PMH, etc.).
The University of Mary Washington is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating and supporting a diverse and inclusive work and educational community that is free of all forms of discrimination. This institution does not tolerate discrimination or harassment on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, parental status, political affiliation, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or veteran status. We promote access, inclusion and diversity for all students, faculty, staff, constituents and programs, believing that these qualities are foundational components of an outstanding education in keeping with our mission. The university is interested in candidates whose experience and qualifications support an ongoing commitment to this core quality.
Last updated: Thursday, July 26, 2018 04:28 UTC
How to apply
The University of Mary Washington accepts only completed online applications and related materials, to be submitted at https://careers.umw.edu/. Faxed, mailed, or emailed applications or documentation will not be considered. Employment offers are contingent upon the successful completion of criminal background checks. If accommodations are requested either before or at the time of the interview, please contact the Recruitment Office at 540/654-1211.
Published: Thursday, July 26, 2018 04:28 UTC