Head of Metadata Services
Head of Metadata Services
Brown University Library invites creative and forward-looking applicants for the position of Head of Metadata Services. We are seeking a leader who has worked on metadata assessment, discovery initiatives focused metadata indexing and policy, and is prepared to oversee a department responsible for the creation and management of MARC and non-MARC metadata across the Brown University Libraries.
Reporting to the Associate University Librarian for Access Services and Collection Management, the Head of Metadata Services provides leadership, both within the Metadata Services Department and throughout the Library, for the development, implementation, and assessment of metadata infrastructure and policies. The position supervises and coordinates the metadata services department, coordinates database and discovery systems quality management, and leads the outreach and development of internal and external partnerships related to metadata services. It oversees units responsible for all aspects of the library’s metadata, including: shared cataloging, special collections cataloging, managing batch MARC record loads, database maintenance, and authority control for all formats and collections. The Head of Metadata Services collaborates with other library departments to ensure priorities are met and the library-wide goals associated with metadata are accomplished. The position directly manages 4 librarians, and oversees a department of 13.
The Head of Metadata Services will actively participate in national and international discussions relating to the access, retrieval, description, and management of information resources, and will collaborate with external partners to extend the work of the department and enable the department to contribute to the development of the library metadata field.
- Required education: MLS degree from ALA-accredited program or equivalent
- Minimum 3 years of successful experience in staff supervision and training in a library environment.
- Minimum 7 years of experience and demonstrated proficiency with current cataloging rules and standards (RDA, LC-PCC PSs, LC vocabularies, MARC21, etc.) and a variety of metadata schema (MODS, EAD, etc.), interoperability, emerging metadata standards.
- Thorough understanding of the relationship between bibliographic and authority records in an automated environment, including discovery system functionality generated from MARC and non-MARC metadata.
- Knowledge of or demonstrated interest in BIBFRAME and LRM development and other library applications of linked open data.
- Interest in developing metadata practices and technologies.
- Excellence in the following skills: verbal and written communication, interpersonal, planning, organizational, and analytical.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and understanding of the contributions a diverse workforce brings to the workplace.
- Reading knowledge of a foreign language
- Interest in serving the needs of the Brown community of users and in maximizing access to the library resources.
- Experience in working with bargaining unit staff is preferred.
Candidates please include a cover letter, resume, and the names, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses of three references. Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.
Candidates please note: All offers of employment are contingent upon a criminal background check and education verification satisfactory to Brown.
Last updated: Thursday, July 26, 2018 04:28 UTC
How to apply
Submitted by: firstname.lastname@example.org
Published: Thursday, July 26, 2018 04:28 UTC