Discovery Services Librarian
St. Lawrence University invites applications to be our Discovery Services Librarian. The Libraries & Information Technology (LIT) division of St. Lawrence University provide resources, services, and facilities in support of the university’s educational mission. The working environment is collaborative and cooperative, technologically rich, and extensive in resources and services provided. The Discovery Services Librarian is responsible for planning, managing, supporting, and evaluating a range of library systems including but not limited to the web discovery platform, Integrated Library System (ILS), and other operational activities and initiatives.
Discovery Services Librarian Responsibilities:
- Provides leadership and support for all aspects of the implemented web discovery platform, ILS, and other related library systems.
- Stays current with new technologies as applied to digital library platforms and works with appropriate LIT staff to implement upgrades and new technologies.
- Works with the Collection Development and Acquisitions Librarian regarding configuration and operational support for acquisitions and resources management functions within the Library’s ILS.
- Works with the Director of Digital Initiatives on technology platforms supporting the library and our digital collections.
- Provides support, documentation, and training to other Librarians and staff working with component parts of the supported library systems as needed.
- Stays current with developments in cataloging, bibliographic description and subject analysis, metadata standards.
- Works with external vendor support personnel and with colleagues from other academic institutions on consortia projects and initiatives.
- Evaluates with other librarians the effectiveness and efficiencies of existing library platforms/systems in support of desired configuration, layout, and design of library web resources.
- Participates in instruction and research services to gain further insight into users’ practical experience with library discovery tools.
General Library Faculty Responsibilities:
- Participates in LIT and Library planning initiatives and in establishing and evaluating goals, objectives, and priorities.
- Hires, trains, supervises, and evaluates any staff that may report to the position.
- Serves on university-wide committees, task forces, or study groups as desired or needed.
- An ALA-accredited MLS/MLIS degree or equivalent graduate degree and relevant experiences.
- Experience with managing ILS and discovery platforms.
- Experience with the Innovative Interfaces, Inc. ILS (Sierra).
- Experience working with other applications, systems, and tools, for example, Illiad, OCLC Services, Ebscohost, or Serials Solutions (ProQuest).
- Practical familiarity with cataloging and metadata structures and relevant tools for data manipulation.
- Familiarity with trends in scholarly communication.
- Experience working in an academic library is desired, an academic library in a small liberal arts college is a plus.
Staff supervisory, training, and development experience (library assistants and student workers).
Last updated: Thursday, April 5, 2018 00:03 UTC