LINK TO APPLY AT THE UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN JOBS SITE:
Join the Knowledge Grid team at Michigan! (www.kgrid.org)
The Department of Learning Health Sciences (DLHS), and its Division of Learning and Knowledge Systems, is working to solve some interesting and challenging problems related to systematic biomedical knowledge organization and very rapid, “just-in-time” delivery and application of biomedical knowledge wherever it is needed. (Find out more about us at http://lhs.medicine.umich.edu/division-learning-knowledge-systems.)
The Knowledge Grid is an open source, sociotechnical platform to support communities wanting to manage and deploy large quantities of computable biomedical knowledge.
More specifically, the Knowledge Grid is a Linked Data Platform, implemented as a collection of Java-based microservices and RESTful APIs, using a variety of open source components, including Fedora Commons, Solr, Spring Boot, Node.js, and Vue.js.
Knowledge Grid includes tools for authoring of digital “Knowledge Objects” (KOs); a digital “Library” for curating and distributing KOs; and “Activators” that enable quick implementation of KOs as services. We have formally specified KOs in an open technical model here:
The work of the Applications Programmer Analyst Senior is highly collaborative and involves using agile methods to devise new or modify existing procedures, and to complete complex application development tasks, all while considering relevant limitations, testing, performance, documentation, and the potential forms of desired software products.
We maintain a sustainable pace, deliver value continuously, and reflect regularly and deeply on our work.
Our primary platform is written in Java , but we design and develop components using a variety of languages, and deploy our services and applications to multiple environments.
We are looking for developers with a range of skills in development, operations, and open-source community building. We are especially looking for developers who have collaborated or taken the lead on designing and developing substantial, complex webservice API components , from vision through to production, with bonus points for open source project committers.
The Applications Programmer Analyst Senior may also have the opportunity to work on related software development, data mining, or scripting activities in support of the research and service missions of our Division.
Funding for this position is guaranteed for 3 years and is likely to continue beyond then.
- Collaborate at a high technical level in software product development
- Play a leading role in developing new Knowledge Grid features and capabilities
- Progress work on a variety of applications and features, such as data entry applications, reporting applications, and installers
- Serve effectively as a peer on a small, tight-knit development team
- Serve as a guide and mentor to other developers and collaborators
- Help us select, adopt, and make best use of available frameworks and tools
- Communicate clearly and effectively
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or in a Related Area with equivalent experience
- Years of experience required:
- Senior Level: 7 or more years’ application programming experience in a fast-paced business environment
- Intermediate Level: 3-6 years’ application programming experience in a fast-paced business environment
- Working knowledge of Java, JEE, Spring, and microservice-based applications implementing RESTful APIs
- Knowledge of web application development, software design, and usability principles
- Ability to write code independently and collaboratively, to integrate code with that of others, and to rapidly create working methods or procedures for multiple technology platforms
- Demonstrated ability to gather functional requirements from a diverse, interdisciplinary team consisting of administrators, scientists, clinicians, students, and technologists
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Proven ability to work collaboratively and independently to meet deadlines
- Outstanding attention to detail
- Dedication to learning as a means of practice improvement
- Experience with Linked Data Platforms and RDF
- Experience developing and improving digital Libraries
- Experience developing and improving Health IT applications
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $90,000.00 to $105,000.00 /year
How to apply
Submitted by: email@example.com
Published: Wednesday, March 21, 2018 14:00 UTC