Associate University Librarian for Scholarly Resources & Discovery
Brandeis Library seeks an accomplished senior leader to spearhead its programs for the stewardship of the full range of collections that support Brandeis University’s mission. The Associate University Librarian will lead an innovative and entrepreneurial staff in developing strategies for resources and services that support Brandeis University’s education and research programs that facilitate worldwide scholarly communication. This leader will also be responsible for fostering strong collaborative relationships between the acquisition and development of content, and the services that directly support access and use.
The Associate University Librarian will bring a collaborative approach to setting strategic directions and managing collection activities. Areas of responsibility include oversight of the over $4,000,000 resource acquisition budget allocation, acquisition strategies and facilitating discovery through oversight of library systems, and metadata creation; optimizing physical and digital collections; resource sharing; leading vendor relationships, licensing and managing access to a rapidly growing array of digital content; building a scholarly communication program; managing and preserving digitized and born-digital materials across their life cycle. Reporting to the University Librarian, the Associate University Librarian oversees approx. 14 staff in Resource Management & Assessment and Library Systems, Approx. 10-20 student workers.
The Associate University Librarian is a member of the Library's senior management team, and participates in strategic planning, program development and evaluation, budget formulation, and resource allocation. They also participate in grants and fundraising and other resource development programs, and promotes the visibility of the Library both within and outside Brandeis University. With the University Librarian and other senior leaders in the library, they are responsible for developing collaborative relationships with other Brandeis University departments, universities, and organizations; and for representing the Brandeis Library regionally, nationally, and internationally.
The Associate University Librarian for Scholarly Resources will work closely with colleagues to assess the impact of Library services, drive responsible resource allocation, demonstrate the value of the Library to the University, and develop strategic alliances with the University's academic leadership and other external partners in pursuit of shared goals.
Required Qualifications for the position include:
- A terminal professional degree in librarianship (for example, in the United States, a Master’s degree in library/information science).
- Eight or more years of experience in increasingly responsible positions, with expertise in research and instruction services
- Three to five years of supervisory experience.
- Significant experience in a research library including strategic planning and budgeting.
- Experience in collection development and fund management.
- Experience leveraging consortium partnerships.
- Demonstrated knowledge of:
- Best practices and current trends in both digital and physical resource management and operations.
- Copyright and intellectual property issues.
- Best practices and current trends in the infrastructure needed to support scholarly communication, including digital preservation and digital content management.
- Demonstrated success in:
- Leading and managing organizational change.
- Collaboration and strategic partnering.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills including the ability to be an articulate spokesperson and presenter.
- Evidence of a strong commitment to diversity and a leadership style that is transparent and inclusive.
- Thorough understanding of issues facing research libraries including the changing landscape of scholarly communication.
- Experience in designing and coordinating transformational initiatives and bringing them to timely and successful implementation. Creative integration of automated and manual technical services processes preferred.
- Record of professional contribution and engagement.
Last updated: Saturday, March 3, 2018 18:11 UTC
How to apply
Submit cover letter and resume as a single document at
http://www.brandeis.edu/humanresources/jobs/external.html. Elect option for "New Applicant". Sort the job listing by clicking the Job ID column heading. Locate the desired job listing. Click the job title and then Apply Now.
Published: Saturday, March 3, 2018 18:11 UTC