*** This is a revised position description and posting. Previous applicants need not reapply.***
William & Mary Libraries seeks an innovative, team-oriented, puzzle solver with a passion for cataloging for the positon of Cataloging & Metadata Librarian.
The Cataloging & Metadata Librarian will focus on original and complex cataloging and metadata projects that enhance the discovery of our collections. The position will focus primarily on the special collections of the William & Mary Libraries, but may include other materials that require original cataloging. This position will become expert not just in cataloging, but also in how patrons discover materials through new initiatives such as linked data, RDF, BibFrame, etc. or through websites and online exhibits. They will lead a small group of catalogers in finding scalable workflows to reduce our backlogs and move efficiently through special collections materials while providing accurate, helpful metadata for researchers. Most importantly, they will bring a positive, creative, playful approach to problem solving, serving as an excellent colleague and partner in the discovery of our wonderful collections and resources.
This position is part of the Libraries’ Content Services Team which includes acquisitions, cataloging, systems, continuing resources, budget & finance, digital services, and collection development and is led by the Associate Dean for Collections & Content Services. This position reports to the Head of Cataloging & Metadata and will collaborate closely with their supervisor, the staff they supervise, and others in the team and library on their goals and responsibilities.
- Master of Library Science (MLS) or equivalent from an American Library Association accredited program or international equivalent.
- Experience in cataloging that includes rare books and/or special collections materials.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and ability to apply cataloging standards such as RDA, DCRM, LCSH, LCC and MARC21 coding.
- Experience using tools such as OCLC Connexion, MarcEdit, and Cataloger’s Desktop to perform original and complex copy cataloging.
- Strong commitment to promoting and enhancing diversity and inclusion.
- Experience working with special collections materials (in public or technical services roles or as a researcher).
- Adaptable, positive outlook and interest in user experiences and needs.
- Experience cataloging manuscripts, archives, or other special collections materials.
- Experience creating, reviewing and editing of metadata for digital collections.
- Awareness/familiarity with existing and emerging metadata standards and schemes, such as RDF, XML, Dublin Core, linked data, and BIBFRAME.
Advertised Pay Range:
$50,000 to $60,000, commensurate with experience
Applicant Review begins March 5, 2018.
Please visit https://jobs.wm.edu/postings/30876 for full job description and how to apply:
The College of William & Mary values diversity and invites applications from underrepresented groups who will enrich the research, teaching and service missions of the university. The College is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and encourages applications from women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.