Metadata Support Manager/Engineer
Full time Remote / Telecommute
This is a key role in the Member Experience section of our Member and Community Outreach team. In this role you’ll be working closely with two Support Specialists to handle the most technical support queries, ensure that the member experience team has the tools and processes to effectively support members and users, bridging our team with the DevOps and Product teams on bug fixes and new developments to support users, and communicate with members and users on service issues, both 1:1 and in public through e.g. Twitter and GitHub.
Handling the most technical support queries
- Answering member and user queries—using Zendesk, Twitter, Discourse, and GitHub—owning the problem through to resolution.
- Being the escalation point for other members of the support team, handling the most complex customer support issues.
- Managing and adjusting publication title information within our metadata system.
- Monitoring conflict reports and working with members to resolve.
- Monitoring DOI crawler reports and contacting publishers who do not maintain their DOIs.
Tools and processes
- Managing the support systems, setting KPIs and ensuring regular reporting is accurate and actionable.
- Identifying peaks and troughs in support queries and finding ways to smooth them out.
- Implementing support through new channels as we move to a philosophy of “open support”.
- Ensuring that the member experience and outreach teams have everything they need to work efficiently and effectively.
- Assisting other Crossref staff in understanding metadata and schema issues.
Bug fixes and new developments
- Identifying problems/opportunities resulting from customer issues.
- Working closely with the technical team on issues impacting members, running regular technical review meetings with the development team.
- Feeding into service development conversations to ensure support overhead is kept to a minimum.
- Leading or participating in community working groups.
Communicating with members on support issues
- Managing outbound communications regarding service outages through multiple channels.
- Monitoring and responding to external or internal reporting systems that indicate the health of the DOI and Crossref systems.
- Suggesting measures to improve visibility into quality conditions and ways to better assist members in working with us.
This important role in the Member Experience team provides support to our diverse member and user base with very different levels of technical knowledge and many different languages. It’s also the key bridge between our community and our own technical teams. You’ll need:
- Experience in providing technical support/troubleshooting with the ability to organize and prioritize a very busy helpdesk.
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills, with a high level of attention to detail and be comfortable digging into unfamiliar and complex technical issues. We need someone who is a problem-solver—curious and tenacious at learning new things and getting to the bottom of problems.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate clearly, simply and effectively.
- Able to communicate technical issues to less technical audiences and use open questions to get to the bottom of things when the question doesn’t seem to make sense.
- Strong interpersonal and relationship management skills.
- A passionate customer service orientation with experience in managing multiple stakeholders.
- Ability to work with colleagues in different teams and at different levels.
- Experience with XML-based publishing systems (ideal) or just XML with exposure to metadata vocabularies.
- A philosophy of transparency in everything you do with strong experience providing support publicly e.g. through discussion forums, technical repositories, and social media.
How to apply
Please contact Lindsay Russell via email@example.com. We look forward to hearing from you!
Submitted by: firstname.lastname@example.org
Published: Monday, February 19, 2018 15:21 UTC