TOURO COLLEGE LIBRARIES Technical & Electronic Services 33 West 23rd Street New York, NY 10010
Position Opening (available immediately)
*** Entry Level Web Developer (FT) ***
No library experience necessary. Reporting to the Systems Librarian, the Web Developer will work with the Systems Librarian and other staff to design, implement, and maintain the electronic services managed by Technical & Electronic Services (TES). Our department provides expert cataloging and web-based applications and content to Touro Libraries and their users worldwide. We are a quiet office of nine professionals and clerical staff. Although we work independently on specialized tasks most of the time, collaboration at key points in our projects is critical. Given the complexity and specialized nature of library services and their supporting technology, the Web Developer will have a particular need to maintain close consultation with colleagues within and beyond TES.
- Participate in a redesign of the Libraries' website, including development and maintenance of public areas, as well as intranet services to optimize workflow and staff communication within the Libraries.
- Develop and maintain an Electronic Resource Management System (complex database-driven web application integrated with EZproxy servers <http://www.usefulutilities.com/> for access management and administration of licensed e-content.
- Implement and maintain an OAIS-minded digital repository (e.g. Fedora Commons <http://www.fedora-commons.org/> to archive and provide access to the Libraries' growing digital collections.
- Maintain the web-based front end ("catalog") of the Libraries' Innovative Interfaces Integrated Library System <http://www.iii.com/>.
- Ensure ongoing access to licensed e-content services. Perform regular updates to the Libraries' Serials Solutions e-content discovery system.
REQUIREMENTS FOR CONSIDERATION ==============================
- Strong knowledge of current (X)HTML and CSS standards and accepted standards-based web design practices. Knowledge of XML standards.
- Proven ability to develop database-driven websites (i.e. WAMP/LAMP), taking into account appropriate security considerations.
- Ability to acquire a working knowledge of new languages and environments quickly and independently.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE ========================
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
- Demonstrated design of database-driven websites which successfully meet the needs of clients or users. "Clients or users" is freely interpretable but is understood to refer to parties other than the applicant.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. For immediate consideration, please submit your resume via e-mail, postal mail, or fax. No calls, please.
Yitzchak Schaffer, MLS Systems Librarian Touro College Libraries Technical & Electronic Services 33 West 23rd Street New York, NY 10010 Fax (212) 627-3197 firstname.lastname@example.org
Touro College does not currently sponsor graduated foreign students to obtain "H" status. Touro College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:48 UTC