The Dayton Metro Library is seeking a full-time Web Developer to join our Information Technology Services team. In collaboration with a team member focused on front-end graphic design, this position is tasked with turning designs and ideas into an interactive and engaging web experience for library users. The ideal candidate will excel at developing useful, intuitive back-end functionality. If you love working in IT and public libraries, this position is for you! Join our team today!
Essential Job Duties
- Develops strategies for managing and directly manages the organization of the library’s public websites to effectively promote library services and provide access to library-related resources by creating and maintaining website content, applications, graphical design, and site structure.
- Organizes and coordinates in-house web resources (Intranet) for staff.
- Maintains a consistent and professional design of the library’s web pages while keeping them dynamic and appealing to the various target users. Enhances graphical design and navigation to meet needs of users of age-related web pages (Kids’, Teens’, Older Adults’ web pages).
- Designs templates and modules for Content Management Systems (CMS) to facilitate timely updates by staff. Supplies documentation to support staff updates. Works with individuals and committees to make available internally developed content on library web pages.
- Makes web services available through programming or acquisition to enhance the patron’s online experience including the integration of social web applications on the public website.
- Obtains patron and staff input and feedback to design and content through surveys, prototype comments, and website usage statistics.
- Coordinates projects with appropriate staff that highlight specialized resources in the library.
- Assesses new standards, technologies and trends, and formulates plans for enhancing the web site.
- Assists the Integrated Systems Specialist with the web-based catalog operation.
- Proven experience in web programming and application development
- Programming skills and in-depth knowledge of modern HTML and CSS
- Problem diagnosis, troubleshooting, and creative problem solving skills required
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a team and communicate effectively while juggling multiple projects with various stakeholders.
- Ability to learn rapidly and apply new skills quickly
- Familiarity and experience with relational databases (MySQL and MS SQL preferred) and web servers (nginx and IIS preferred)
- Knowledge of available and emerging technologies and their application to web development.
- Basic knowledge of search engine optimization
- Knowledge of usability best practices.
- Familiarity with Joomla! and Linux is desired.
- Working knowledge of Adobe Photoshop in a web environment.
- Bachelor’s degree from four-year college or university; or one to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Valid Ohio driver’s license, acceptable motor vehicle record, and continuous insurability required.
- Typical work schedule is Monday through Friday; hours may vary if web site is experiencing difficulties.
Compensation and Benefits: Starting hourly wage is $21.98 with an exceptional benefits package.
Application Process: For first consideration, please submit a cover letter, resume and three references to Jennifer Kadel at firstname.lastname@example.org by December 5, 2017.
The Dayton Metro Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.