The Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) is an independent global health research center at the University of Washington that provides rigorous and comparable measurement of the world’s most important health problems and evaluates the strategies used to address them. IHME makes this information freely available so that policymakers have the evidence they need to make informed decisions about how to allocate resources to best improve population health.
IHME has an outstanding opportunity for a Data Indexer to join our team. The Data Indexer will be responsible for the indexing (renaming, moving, and cataloguing) of large amounts of health data from a variety of data sources, e.g., health surveys, censuses, facility records and administrative data. The Data Indexer’s work will significantly contribute to the Global Health Data Exchange (GHDx), IHME’s platform to share and inform about health data. The Data Indexer will be familiar with different types of files and data, particularly health and demographic datasets; be meticulous with file naming and proper metadata; and possess sufficient Internet and research savvy to identify accurate information from conflicting sources. This position will report to a Senior Data Indexer on the IHME Data Team.
· Independently evaluate, select, and apply information management best practices and internal data cataloging guidelines
· Responsible for quality and timeliness of content management projects specific to internal research teams
· Document and download data found during online searches
· Interact in a collaborative manner with other team members to accomplish organizational goals
· Know and effectively use the fundamental concepts, practices, and procedures of information management
· Organize large amounts of data by moving and renaming files appropriately based on detailed guidelines; file formats will range from Word, Excel, CSV, ASCII, and PDF to databases and data from statistical packages like STATA and SPSS
· Catalog data accurately and completely in an online content management system
· Conduct research for proper metadata for datasets, including publishers, authors, contributing and funding organizations
· Find, research, and eliminate inconsistencies in metadata
· Develop keywords based on the contents of data files and accompanying information (code books, questionnaires, manuals)
· Use productivity tools like FileBoss or BeyondCompare to develop efficient ways of moving and organizing data
· Document file management and cataloguing progress thoroughly
· Work with researchers and data analysts on taking in, renaming, and cataloguing data
· Identify datasets that do not conform to existing rules and inform a Senior Data Indexer
· Exemplify and promote proper data management at IHME
Master’s Degree in library science, information management, or (science) data management and two years’ related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
· Demonstrated organizational skills, self-motivation, and flexibility
· Previous indexing or cataloging experience
· Interest in global health and global health research
· Ability to work in a highly structured role that requires critical thinking while operating in a fast-paced, energetic, entrepreneurial environment
· Strong sense of focus and attention to detail
· Familiarity with Drupal or other online content management system
· Online research skills
· Familiarity/comfort with assessing materials in foreign languages
Conditions of Employment
· Evening and weekend work may be required.
Last updated: Wednesday, November 8, 2017 22:43 UTC
How to apply
Published: Wednesday, November 8, 2017 22:43 UTC