Metadata Services Librarian
The College of Charleston Libraries seek an innovative and engaged Metadata Services Librarian to provide their MARC and non-MARC metadata expertise to the Collection and Content Services unit of the College of Charleston Libraries. Reporting to the Head of Description and Cataloging Services, the Metadata Services Librarian will work in a team based environment to create, maintain, and enrich metadata representing the college’s physical and digital collections. The Metadata Services Librarian will be responsible for creating original metadata and for complex metadata revision for materials in a variety of formats. The Metadata Services Librarian will work with colleagues in the Collection and Content Services unit, subject specialists, and digital library developers to define departmental strategies for MARC and non-MARC metadata creation. This position will play a critical role in harmonizing the college’s descriptive metadata practices to maximize discovery. This is a full-time, tenure track, faculty appointment and carries with it the expectation that faculty will contribute significantly to the profession.
- Master’s degree in library and information science from an ALA-accredited program
- Experience in metadata creation in an academic or research library or equivalent professional venue
- Knowledge of current cataloging and descriptive standards, schemas, and vocabularies such as MARC21, RDA, AACR2, LC classifications, DACS, including XML-based non-MARC metadata standards such as Dublin Core, EAD, and MODS.
- Knowledge of semantic web, RDF, and linked data
- Demonstrated day-to-day technical services, cataloging, and metadata creation/management operations experience
- Proven ability to work collaboratively, creatively, and effectively in a dynamic, complex, and rapidly evolving environment and to learn new technologies and adapt to changes in the profession
- Knowledge of trends and issues in academic libraries, scholarly communications, higher education, and publishing
- Self-motivated and detail-oriented with outstanding written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- Experience with scripting languages, especially related to metadata manipulation
- Familiarity with cross-walking, normalizing, and transforming XML metadata
- Original cataloging experience in multiple formats using OCLC Connexion
- Demonstrated experience solving complex cataloging/technical services problems
- Working knowledge of one or more western European languages
- Demonstrated project management and successful supervisory experience
About the College of Charleston and the Libraries
Founded in 1770, the College of Charleston is a public liberal arts and sciences university located in the heart of Charleston, South Carolina. The College of Charleston serves approximately 10,000 undergraduates and 1,500 graduate/certificate seeking students with more than 100 majors and minors.
The College of Charleston Libraries are comprised of the Marlene and Nathan Addlestone Library, the Avery Research Center for African American History and Culture, the Marine Resources Library, and the North Campus Library. The combined annual budgets exceed $5.6 million with a staff of 26 librarians and archivists, 30 full time employees, and 35 student and temporary employees.
The College of Charleston is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any individual or group on the basis of gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, race, color, religion, national origin, veteran status, genetic information, or disability.
How to apply
Published: Saturday, July 22, 2017 16:17 UTC
Last updated: Saturday, July 22, 2017 16:17 UTC