The Metadata & Linked Data Strategist:
- Is Project MUSE’s metadata expert and is responsible for assessing, developing, and documenting internal policies for metadata creation, application, and maintenance.
- Participates in large-scale research and development projects related to metadata discovery, interoperability, and identity management, including the development of a linked data environment and of descriptive metadata standards throughout MUSE.
- Ensures compliance with evolving national and international metadata standards.
- Oversees relationships between Project MUSE and discovery services to ensure that metadata delivery is efficient and accurate.
- Acts as technical liaison between linking partners and Project MUSE.
- Works closely with technical staff and ebooks coordinator to develop an effective workflow for ingesting, tracking, and delivering metadata.
- Serves as consultant to other divisions of the JHUP about metadata
- Fosters collaborative efforts related to metadata between Project MUSE and other JHUP divisions.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications and experience:
- Master’s degree in Library and Information Science or equivalent
- 3-5 years of progressive experience with metadata projects
- Practical experience managing all aspects of metadata creation for digital content, including selecting, implementing, and documenting metadata standards, overseeing quality control, and mapping between datasets
- Demonstrated experience with current cataloging procedures and principles as defined in RDA and AACR2, and the MARC bibliographic, holdings, and authorities formats
- Demonstrable knowledge of and ability to apply metadata standards (including MODS, Dublin Core, EAD, METS, OAI, TEI, and relevant thesauri and/or ontologies, as required by special projects) as well as the ability to implement and analyze these standards
- Familiarity with machine actionable languages, such as XML and RDF
- Familiarity with linked data principles and standards
Other desired skills include:
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills combined with capacity for complex, detail-oriented work
- High level computer competency kept up to date through continuous learning
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently, as a team member, and across organizational boundaries in a fast-paced environment
- Flexibility to be organized, productive, and effective in a dynamic environment, while participating in variety of simultaneous projects
Last updated: Thursday, July 13, 2017 23:13 UTC