Head of Core Systems Development
This is a rare job opening for a Senior Manager within the UCLA Library's Information Technology department. The objectives of this position are to help manage and set the direction of the Library's software development efforts, as well as the operations/support of production services. We are looking for a leader with a strong technical background that can bring teams together, drive consensus, and set strategic direction.
Reporting to the Associate University Librarian (AUL) for Research and Development and in collaboration with the Head of DIIT Operations and Services, the Digital Library Architect, the Head of the Digital Library Program, the Data Management Strategist, and the Director, UCLA Libraries Social Science Data Archive, the Head of Core Systems Development (HCSD) leads the design and development of UCLA Library software products as well as all development related to business and operations platforms that are the foundation for the library.
The HCSD provides expertise and leadership in the areas of:
- programming and database application development
- ensures that applications are highly available for use by researchers, faculty, staff and students
- develops and implements programming strategies which can accommodate the Library's growing information technology development needs for the present and into the future
- develops strategies for insuring that standard programming practices and methodologies are utilized in project management and requirements-building situations and participates in documentation of such strategies.
- serves as a liaison to various campus technology departments as needed and provides oversight with updating web services and database application development within the UCLA Library as it links to campus-wide applications and services.
The HCSD collaborates with senior managers:
- to establish strategic plans and objectives
- to make decisions on application programming matters
- to ensure achievement of established objectives
- to assign and document responsibilities for systems in production.
Works closely with Library department heads e.g. User Engagement, Cataloging and Metadata Center, Library Special Collections, International Studies etc. to identify and address technology needs and services needed by their teams that support and further the UCLA Library Strategic Plan. The HCSD proactively engages and seeks input from these department heads and develops and revises work plans to reflect the UCLA Library Strategic Plan with respect to the Library's technology infrastructure, software and services.
The HCSD supervises 8 career FTE staff, contract staff, and student employees who are responsible for maintaining a large number of web applications, web services, database driven applications; service usage analytics; and for development of new applications and services. The HCSD is responsible for day-to-day supervision including delegating projects and tasks to individuals with varying levels of formal education, certification, professional experience, and with diverse software development and IT skills.
UCLA Job Posting
For more information and to apply for the position please go to: http://ucla.in/2rbWFTu
How to apply
Submitted by: email@example.com
Published: Wednesday, May 31, 2017 19:50 UTC