Job Description Summary:
George Washington Libraries and Academic Innovation (GWLAI) is a catalyst, a spark to generate new ideas and new possibilities. Responsive to the changing landscape of information and education, being sensitive both to traditional and emergent modes of communication, we bring together diverse constituents of faculty, students, and staff in a highly collaborative, dynamic, and deeply engaged intellectual community to support research, teaching and learning. As part of the larger George Washington University, we are a nexus where exciting things happen, where change happens, where growth happens.
Reporting to the Director of Communications and Outreach, the Senior Web Developer works in a highly collaborative environment with the Web designer, Web Producer, and GWLAI partners to ensure an effective, visually appealing, and intuitive web presence. The Senior Web Developer is responsible for the following duties:
- Manages all technical aspects and architecture of GW LAI’s web presence. This includes responsibility for the CMS for the main site, which itself integrates library search/discovery tools and applications such as a room reservation system, web publishing of archival collections, custom-built CMS modules, and more.
- Deploys, maintains, and enhances the CMS and other sites to ensure high availability, performance, security, and to ensure that the sites meet evolving business requirements. This entails back-end through front-end work: Administering Linux servers, configuring CMS applications and databases, through creating web pages and custom modules.
- Collaborates with the Web Designer to integrate approved themes and design elements into CMS and CMS modules.
- Utilizes site analytics to track and provide visibility into site activity, usage, and visitor profiles
- Utilizes SEO and Semantic Web strategies to improve site visibility
- Maintains current documentation on application and server administration, and adheres to team practices for code versioning and code review workflows
- Consults with GWLAI Communications and partners to determine priorities and scope of business requirements relating to web projects, and communicates with decision-makers at all levels to discuss technical plans, risks, and opportunities
The position is based at GW’s Foggy Bottom Campus in Washington, DC. The incumbent may perform other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate area of specialization plus 2 years of relevant professional experience. Degree requirements may be substituted with an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Experience developing and deploying high-availability, enterprise web solutions in Drupal 7 or 8
- Ability to architect enterprise Drupal solutions including data, display, and information architecture
- Advanced site-building experience including deep familiarity with Drupal modules such as CTools, Views, and Panels, and experience creating custom Drupal modules
- Knowledge of the Drupal theme layer, PHP, PHP files and theme functions
- Experience deploying, configuring, troubleshooting and maintaining applications in a Linux environment
- Experience with code versioning and social coding best practices using tools such as GitHub.
- Diverse technical experience beyond Drupal
- Experience integrating API-based data services into a Drupal site, including experience with data representations such as JSON and XML
- Experience improving visibility of websites using SEO (search engine optimization) and SWI (semantic web identity) strategies
Last updated: Thursday, May 11, 2017 16:58 UTC