(This job posting is being sent to multiple lists; please excuse any duplication.)
Senior Information Systems Architecture Engineer (Digital Repository Developer)
Interested applicants need to apply online via Northwestern's eRecruit web site, referencing Job Opening ID #12083, at: <http://www.northwestern.edu/hr/jobs/>
JOB SUMMARY: The Northwestern University Library is engaged in a number of data repository and data management initiatives at a regional and national level. The Senior IS Architecture Engineer works in a highly collaborative environment with library colleagues and external partners on digital repository development, digital preservation, metadata architecture, digital collections management and digital services development to explore, adapt and implement emerging digital repository and data repository technologies.
PRINCIPLE ACCOUNTABILITIES: - Administering, managing and supporting the library's Fedora implementation, repository infrastructure, and other digital collection management tools;
- Designing, developing, implementing and maintaining tools and applications in accordance with the Open Archival Information System reference model for use in support of a digital object repository;
- Applying system analysis techniques and procedures to determine software and system functional and technical specifications;
- Evaluating potential commercial and open-source solutions for repository application;
- Ensuring established data standards are supported in the repository for metadata management, business logic, data modeling and metadata workflow management;
- Designing and testing user interfaces;
- Defining and implementing programmatic interfaces with other systems in support of the repository;
- Performing other related duties as required or assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: - A bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Science, or a related field or the equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired;
- Three or more years of significant development experience in an object oriented development environment including experience with Web Services programming in a service-oriented architecture;
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills;
- Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to work successfully in a collaborative environment;
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple priorities and deadlines;
- Creativity in problem solving to independently resolve technical issues as well as extrapolate from one situation to another;
- Demonstrated experience with Unix Linux server platforms, related software, and basic system administration utilities.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: - A masters degree in Computer Science, Information Science, or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired;
- Experience with IT in a higher education environment;
- Experience with repository software (such as DSpace, Greenstone, or Fedora).
ENVIRONMENT: Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois, is a major private university with an extensive library system. This includes the Northwestern University Library, three branch libraries on the Evanston Campus, and three libraries on the Chicago Campus. Northwestern University Library is a member of the Association of Research Libraries (ARL) and participates in programs of the Committee on Institutional Cooperation (CIC). The holdings of the libraries total over 4 million volumes. See more information about the Library at: <http://www.library.northwestern.edu>.
SALARY: Dependent on qualifications and experience.
TO APPLY: Interested applicants need to apply online via Northwestern's eRecruit web site, referencing Job Opening ID #12083, at: <http://www.northwestern.edu/hr/jobs/>
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Employment eligibility verification required upon hire. -- ---- Stu Baker Head, Digital Library Systems Development @ Northwestern University 1970 Campus Drive | Room 1177 | Evanston, IL | 60208-2300 847.467.1984 <mailto:email@example.com>
How to apply
Published: Friday, August 31, 2007 09:37 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:48 UTC