DescriptionProgrammer/Analyst Level 4 (Web Applications Developer)
Campus: University Park
Work Unit: University Libraries
Department: Department for Information Technologies (I-Tech)
The Penn State University Libraries Department for Information Technologies (I-Tech) is seeking a creative and energetic individual to fill the position of Web Applications Developer. The successful candidate will lead the design and development of applications that provide and enhance discovery of library resources, and contribute to other technology initiatives including digital library support, website components and web architecture. This role requires creativity and a commitment to the design, development, and implementation of solutions that maximize user experience and provide seamless resource discovery.
This position is an opportunity to engage with open source communities and participate in building and enhancing a DevOps and agile development culture across the Libraries. The successful candidate will work collaboratively with library colleagues as well as colleagues at Penn State and beyond to evaluate emerging academic and library web and discovery technologies.
The successful candidate will be an energetic self-starter, curious and excited about supporting discovery applications in a dynamic environment. He or she will be willing and able to independently research, learn, and quickly obtain new skills, and will serve as a team member in a collaborative environment, leading and mentoring colleagues in emerging web application technologies and languages. Active participation on Libraries’ and university committees, project teams, relevant professional organizations and professional development activities is expected.
Education and Experience:
The position requires a Bachelor’s degree or higher plus eight or more years of work related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. A degree in computer or information science is strongly preferred.
• Proficiency in developing and implementing complex web applications using frameworks such as Ruby on Rails, Django or Angular JS
• Proficiency in search/indexing and information retrieval technology (e.g., Apache Solr, ElasticSearch)
• Experience with Linux operating system, including scripting and installing/supporting Rails in Linux OS
• Experience with version control, test-driven development and continuous integration techniques, i.e., DevOps
• Experience in participating in and contributing to open source development projects
• Excellent communication skills and ability to work in a collaborative environment
• Ability to learn new technical skills quickly
• Flexibility, adaptability, intellectual curiosity
• Commitment to responsive and innovative service
• Commitment to diversity
• Experience with object-oriented programming languages such as Ruby, Python, PHP, Java, etc.
• Experience working with XML, including XML transformations
• Working knowledge of various metadata standards and programming frameworks
• Experience with APIs and web services
• Experience with Drupal
• Experience in adapting emerging technologies to new domains
• Experience in planning and leading technical projects, including requirements gathering
• Knowledge of or experience in libraries and library systems
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:40 UTC