Head of Metadata and Discovery Services
The University of Connecticut (UConn), one of the nation’s leading public research universities, seeks applications for the position of Head of Metadata & Discovery Services.
Under the general direction of the Associate University Librarian for Collections & Discovery, the Head of Metadata & Discovery Services envisions, leads, and actively participates in strategies to maintain, enhance, and positively transform the UConn Library’s systems for managing collections and powering discovery. This position is responsible for managing and supervising the Metadata & Discovery Services Unit and providing leadership for the metadata-focused work that occurs at the UConn Health and Law School libraries. Concurrently, the position deeply engages in the work of implementing, administering, and coordinating systems across the UConn Library, including the Library’s Alma library management system. Within this context, this position requires an advanced proficiency with current and emerging metadata standards, models, and applications, and draws on a deeply user-focused orientation and a working style that embraces collaboration in a complex and dynamic work environment.
1. Graduate degree in Library and Information Science from an American Library Association accredited program with a minimum of six years' related experience.
2. Advanced proficiency in current and emerging metadata standards, models, applications, and initiatives (examples include RDA, MARC, Dublin Core, MODS, METS, BibFrame, OpenURL, KBART, and Linked Open Data).
3. Demonstrated leadership ability and a collaborative management style that fosters trust, respect, and successful working relationships in a complex and dynamic work environment.
4. Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to think strategically and display flexibility in adapting to change.
5. Clear and concise understanding and ability to communicate how metadata facilitates knowledge resource discovery.
6. Demonstrated organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills.
7. Demonstrated proficiency with current technology, software, and automated library systems.
8. Evidence of sustained participation in professional development activities.
1. Experience supervising library personnel.
2. Experience creating or managing MARC metadata.
3. Experience with the Alma library management system.
4. Experience with the Primo discovery system.
5. Experience using the Alma or Primo APIs.
6. Experience with XML/XSL/XSLT.
7. Demonstrated advanced knowledge of contemporary library practices, trends, and emerging technologies, specifically in the areas of metadata creation and management.
8. Evidence of active engagement in professional development or scholarly activities, including sharing professional knowledge at a regional, national, or international level.
9. Demonstrated project management expertise.
A complete job description can be found at http://lib.uconn.edu/about/employment-opportunities/professional/
How to apply
Published: Saturday, June 18, 2016 09:55 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:40 UTC