Data Visualization Designer and Digital Consultant for the Arts
Created: June 6, 2016
DescriptionWorking Title: Data Visualization Designer and Consultant for the Arts
Faculty Rank: Lecturer
Posting Number: AP0160143
The University Libraries of Virginia Tech seeks a specialist to join a team offering critical and sophisticated new technology development services that enhance the scholarly and creative expression of faculty and graduate students. This new position will bring relevant computational techniques to the enhance the fields of Art and Design at Virginia Tech, and will serve as a visual design consultant to project teams using data visualization methodologies.
The ideal candidates will have demonstrated web development and programming skills, knowledge of digital research methods and tools in Art and Design, experience managing and interpreting common types of digital data and assets studied in those fields.
The Data Visualization Designer & Digital Consultant for the Arts will not only help researchers in Art and Design fields develop, manage, and sustain digital creative works and digital forms of scholarly expression, but also help researchers across Virginia Tech design effective visual representations of their research. Successful candidates will work collaboratively with other Virginia Tech units, such as the School of Visual Arts; the School of Performing Arts; the Moss Center for the Arts; the Institute for Creativity, Arts, and Technology; and the arts community development initiative VTArtWorks (made possible by the Institute of Museum and Library Services [SP-02-15-0034-15])
- Investigates and applies existing and emerging technologies that help strengthen the Libraries’ mission to enhance and curate visual representations of data at Virginia Tech.
- Develops and modifies technologies and designs processes that facilitate data visualization/exploration, data and information access, data discovery, data mining, data publishing, data management, and preservation
- Serves as consultant to researchers on data visualization, visual design principles, and related computational tools and methods in the digital arts
- Keeps up with trends in digital research issues, methods, and tools in related disciplines
- Identifies data, digital scholarship, and digital library development referral opportunities; makes connections with research teams across campus
- Participates in teams and working groups and in various data-related projects and initiatives as a result of developments and changes in library services
- Master’s or other advanced degree in a computing field or field related to Art and Design OR Bachelor’s degree in a computing field or field related to the supported community and significant experience equivalent to an advanced degree
- Experience with web development and/or programming (any language)
- Experience with, and knowledge of trends in, digital research tools and methods
- Thorough understanding of university research environments
- A service ethic and a desire to further the cause of university research
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team-based environment
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple complex projects simultaneously, to set priorities, and to meet deadlines
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Master’s degree or other advanced degree in a computing field
- Experience, training or education in informatics, data analytics, data/text mining
- Experience with digital research tools and methods in Art and Design fields, including but not limited to AutoDesk and MaxMSP, visualization libraries like d3.js or Bokeh, and data visualization software such as Tableau or Compendium.
- Experience supporting interdisciplinary research projects
- Demonstrated commitment to collaboration and sharing of code
Employment Conditions: Must have a criminal background check
Must have a conviction check: Yes
How to Apply for this Job:
Applications must be submitted online at http://www.hr.vt.edu/employment. The application package needs to include a resume, cover letter addressing the candidate’s experience with the responsibilities associated with the position, and the required and preferred qualifications, names of three (3) references and their contact information. Review of applications will begin as received and continue until the position is filled.
Employee Category: Administrative and Professional Faculty
Appointment Type: Regular
Percent Employment: Full-time
Pay Range: $55,000-$60,000 (Commensurate with Qualifications and Education)
Work Location: Blacksburg
Work Schedule: Monday-Friday 8am -5pm or as assigned
Posting Date: 06/01/2016
Job Review Date: 07/01/2016
Quick Link: http://listings.jobs.vt.edu/postings/66692
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:40 UTC