Director of Research and Instruction Services
Wheaton College — Norton, MA
0 other recent jobs
Created: June 1, 2016
DescriptionThe Director of Research and Instruction Services leads a team of experienced professionals responsible for delivery of services, resources, and programming that cultivate a community of self-sufficient and lifelong learners by bringing together people and information and by fostering curiosity, inquiry, discovery, and creation. The activities of the department focus on student academic success, especially in developing information research and information management skills and technology skills. To achieve these goals the department actively engages with and supports faculty use of information resources, academic software, instructional technologies, a learning management system, and technology-enhanced classrooms. The position supervises a varied team of librarians, technologists, and library services professionals.
As a member of the Leadership Team of Library and Information Services, this position participates in strategic planning and operational oversight of the activities of the merged organization.
● Master’s degree required: ALA-accredited MLS
● Minimum of 5 years of increasing responsibility in program and staff management required
● Thorough knowledge of trends in higher education in general, and trends in libraries, instruction, instructional technology, and scholarly information in particular, required.
● Teaching experience strongly preferred.
● Proficiency and aptitude for instructional technology. Proficiency with standard desktop applications, including word processing, spreadsheets, databases, etc.
● Equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
● A clear commitment for delivering high quality service to an academic community. Effective writing, verbal, communication, and interpersonal skills.
● Creative problem-solving abilities, intellectual curiosity, and initiative
● Strong organizational skills, with attention to detail and thoroughness
● Project management aptitude or experience
● Team orientation, flexibility, versatility, and ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a complex and changing public service environment
● Demonstrated aptitude and enthusiasm for teaching in a college environment, including the ability to work effectively with faculty, students, and colleagues
● Demonstrated knowledge of, or interest in, trends regarding access to information and digital library technologies
● Strong interest in playing an integral role in actively developing campus-wide information fluency initiatives
● Flexibility to adjust and thrive in a changing workplace
● Resilience of character and perspective, with a sense of humor
Individuals must possess these knowledges, skills and abilities or be able to explain and demonstrate that the individual can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
Wheaton is a private coeducational liberal arts college within easy commuting distance of Boston and Providence. We have 1,600 undergraduates from 39 US States and 72 countries. More than 23.7% of our undergraduates are U.S. students of color and 13.9% are international students.. Wheaton College is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and does not discriminate against any individual or group on the basis of gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, race, color, religion, national origin, veteran status, genetic information, or disability. In a continuing effort to maintain and enrich an intellectually diverse learning environment, the Department and the College actively encourages applications from women and members of underrepresented groups.
List of References
Evidence of Teaching Effectiveness
How to apply
Apply via HR at Wheaton College
Published: Wednesday, June 1, 2016 20:47 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:40 UTC