DescriptionPosting Title: Digital Collections Librarian
Position #: 70018910
Job Opening ID: 511380
Review Date: June 3, 2016
Florida International University is classified by Carnegie as a R1: Doctoral Universities - Highest Research Activity and recognized as a Carnegie engaged university. It is a public research university with colleges and schools that offers 196 bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral programs in fields such as engineering, computer science, international relations, architecture, law and medicine. As one of South Florida’s anchor institutions, FIU contributes almost $9 billion each year to the local economy. FIU is Worlds Ahead in finding solutions to the most challenging problems of our time. FIU emphasizes research as a major component of its mission. FIU has awarded more than 220,000 degrees and enrolls more than 54,000 students in two campuses and three centers including FIU Downtown on Brickell, FIU@I-75, and the Miami Beach Urban Studios. FIU’s Medina Aquarius Program houses the Aquarius Reef Base, a unique underwater research facility in the Florida Keys. FIU also supports artistic and cultural engagement through its three museums: Patricia & Phillip Frost Art Museum, theWolfsonian-FIU, and the Jewish Museum of Florida-FIU. FIU is a member of Conference USA and more than 400 student-athletes participating in 18 sports. For more information about FIU, visit http://www.fiu.edu/.
Florida International University Libraries’ Digital Collections Center (DCC) and Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Center is looking for a Digital Collections Librarian to join a team of digital collections professionals in digital production, long-term preservation, curation of materials and data that focus on unique regional historical, cultural, and scientific content.
- Participates in efforts of digital production and preservation to support internally and externally funded projects by supervising and implementing workflows (e.g. copyright clearance, quality control, digitization, metadata creation/transformation/remediation/enhancement, and archiving etc.)
- Fosters and maintains partnerships with future and established digital content contributors
- Develops and delivers training on metadata, the FIU digital library system (dPanther), and preservation of digital materials
- Supports grant writing and other funding opportunities relating to print and digital collections, production and preservation
- Performs metadata audits of existing digital collections and participate in migration of legacy digital collections to new platforms
- Engages in scholarly activity through presentations, conferences, workshops, seminars or other activities that enhance professional knowledge in the area of digital collections
- Serves the library and/or institution through contribution in meetings and committee work
- Serves the library profession through involvement in professional organizations and through cooperative efforts with other information professionals
- Performs other duties an special projects as assigned by department and assistant heads
- ALA accredited Master of Library Science (MLS) degree
- Demonstrated knowledge of digital production including digitization, metadata creation, and preservation best practices and standards
- Working knowledge of mainstream metadata schemas and digital library systems
- Experiences with collection development and content curation
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong sense of teamwork and ability to work across diverse departments and individual library and university stakeholders
- Demonstrated leadership quality and experiences in creating and supervising work flows and project implementation
- Two or more years of professional experience working with digital collections or archives
- Experiences in grant proposal writing and implementation
Non-tenured faculty status; rank and salary are competitive based on qualifications and experience.
About the Libraries: For information about the FIU Libraries, please visit http://library.fiu.edu.
Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply to Job Opening ID 511380 at https://facultycareers.fiu.edu. Candidates will be requested to provide names and contact information for at least three professional references who will be contacted as determined by the search committee. All inquiries should be directed to Jamie Rogers, Chair of the Search and Screen Committee, at email@example.com. To receive full consideration, applications and required materials should be received by June 3, 2016. Review will continue until position is filled.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:40 UTC