DescriptionBridgewater State University seeks an dynamic, creative, and service-oriented professional for the position of Cataloging and Metadata Librarian. The successful candidate will manage the Technical Services unit and provide access to library resources, in support of the University’s missions for teaching and learning, research and creative endeavors, and student success. Review of applications will begin on May 15, 2016. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, but preference will be given to applications received by the begin review date.
The Cataloging and Metadata Librarian provides leadership for the Technical Services unit, which includes cataloging, serials processing, catalog maintenance, and physical processing for all formats and locations.
Essential duties include:
• Plan, implement, and evaluate unit operations and workflows.
• Supervise three library assistants (two full-time and one part-time).
• Conduct training, and create and maintain documentation for the unit.
• Provide timely original and complex copy cataloging for library materials in all formats and languages, including print and electronic monographs and serials, rare books, media, and digital items.
• Work with an authority vendor to manage authority control.
• Collaborate with various colleagues as needed to improve workflows, identify projects, and enhance access to print, video, manuscript, and digital materials.
• Take an active role in Maxwell Library’s future move to a new library management and discovery service.
• Stay current with cataloging and metadata developments and provide expert advice to the library and campus on providing access to information resources.
• Act as liaison to one or more academic departments.
• Actively engage in professional development activities as required for promotion and tenure
• Relevant experience in an academic, large public, or special library, or in a related field.
• Knowledge of and demonstrated experience in cataloging using national standards such as RDA, AACR2, LCSH, LCC, and Dewey. Experience cataloging using RDA is required.
• Demonstrated knowledge of one or more metadata standards and schema such as Dublin Core, METS, MODS, VRA Core, or others.
• Awareness of current developments and trends in cataloging and metadata, and apply such knowledge to local practices.
• Ability to think strategically, set priorities, research tools and best practices, and manage responsibilities independently.
• Ability to adapt quickly in a dynamic, evolving library and campus environment.
• Effective communication, interpersonal, and team building skills.
• Supervisory experience.
• Commitment to diversity and social justice.
• Evidence of ability to successfully engage in professional activities and disciplinary scholarship to satisfy promotion and tenure requirements for the Massachusetts State College Association (MSCA) collective bargaining agreement.
For a full job description and to apply, visit: https://jobs.bridgew.edu/postings/1102
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:40 UTC