Digital Projects Coordinator
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University — Blacksburg
0 other recent jobs
Created: March 30, 2016
DescriptionDigital Projects Coordinator Position at Virginia Tech
Virginia Tech University Libraries is hiring a Digital Projects Coordinator (Administrative/Professional Faculty position).
The Digital Projects Coordinator manages projects for the newly launched Digital Imaging Service serving the campus as well as regional museums and archives. This position is a key component in a large initiative to develop unique and compelling digital collections for research and education. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to help establish and expand a nascent digitization program at a Carnegie R1: Research University and ARL member library, work with diverse collections such as historic archival materials and artifacts, fascinating biodiversity specimens such as fossils, insects, and minerals, while also exploring the application of new technologies such as 3D imaging and representation. The Digital Projects Coordinator reports to the Assistant Director for Digital Imaging and Preservation Services.
We are seeking someone who would prefer to work an alternative / afternoon schedule (for example, 12pm to 8pm), so that they may supervise student workers on weekday evenings.
Applicants are encouraged to include a link in the application materials to examples of previous relevant work.
- Manage scanning and digital photography operations.
- Create and refine scanning and photography processes and workflows.
- Supervise and help hire 1-4 student digitization assistants.
- Be responsible for quality control of scanned and photographed items, including resolution, color, and technical and descriptive metadata.
- Serve as a primary resource for expertise in digitization best practices.
- Perform digital photography of rare books, large format archival materials such as maps and posters, as well as museum artifacts and specimens, and be able to demonstrate archival care and management of fragile materials.
- Work with a variety of professional image software, e.g., Adobe Photoshop, Bridge, Lightroom, ImageMagick, or Capture One.
- Operate digital photography equipment with technical and artistic skill.
- Recommend selection of scanners, digital cameras, and related equipment and software, and be responsible for and perform equipment maintenance and calibration.
- Create and modify general digitization procedures based on established standards with the goal of improving quality and productivity.
- Train library staff in digitization methods.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Demonstrated experience with a variety of digital imaging technologies
- Ability to operate medium/large format digital cameras and other digitization equipment
- Knowledge of digitization standards and procedures
- Demonstrated ability to identify quality issues with digitized and born-digital image files.
- Project management skills, including planning, organization, and time management.
- Ability to establish positive and productive collaborations with diverse teams across departments and disciplines
- Demonstrated ability to adjust priorities, manage time wisely, and make quick, effective decisions in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent interpersonal, analytical, oral, and written communication skills
- Master’s or other advanced degree
- Experience with batch processing related to image conversion and manipulation is a high priority
- Professional experience in photography with knowledge of lighting, color calibration, aspect, and aperture
- Master’s degree or other advanced degree with an emphasis in library and information science, museum studies, or photography
- Professional experience working in an academic library
- Knowledge of national standards and best practices for digitization and metadata in libraries, archives, and museums.
- Knowledge of current issues in digital libraries.
- Experience executing command-line scripts.
- Ability to train and instruct in digitization and digital photography techniques and processes
Virginia Tech, founded in 1872 as a land-grant institution, is currently ranked as a Top 25 Public University by US News & World Report and a Top 25 Public Research University by the National Science Foundation. Through a combination of its three missions of learning, discovery, and engagement, Virginia Tech continually strives to accomplish the charge of its motto: Ut Prosim (That I May Serve). As the Commonwealth’s most comprehensive university and its leading research institution, Virginia Tech serves a diverse population of 30,000+ students and 8000+ faculty and staff from over 100 countries, and is engaged in research around the world. Invent the Future at Virginia Tech.
This position comes with an excellent benefits package and is located on a beautiful campus and region.
See the full posting and apply for this position at
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:40 UTC