Created: March 11, 2016
Harvard Art Museums Cambridge, MA0 other recent jobs
DescriptionThe Harvard Art Museums is seeking a Technology Fellow to support and develop projects in the Lightbox Gallery (https://vimeo.com/151150924), the museums public research and development environment. Projects are produced in collaboration with the Division of Academic and Public Programs and university partners. Past partners include Harvard metaLAB and the Harvard–Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics. Throughout the 2016 fall semester the candidate will work with new campus partners to develop projects that will explore how the Lightbox can be used as a classroom and as a place for experimental data visualization.
This is a 12 month fellowship, with the possibility of renewal for a second year.
Apply at https://sjobs.brassring.com/TGWEbHost/jobdetails.aspx?partnerID=25240&siteID=5341&AReq=38638BR.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Write code, setup virtual servers, explore open source projects, and experiment with technology as it pertains to the museums and the Lightbox.
- Participate in and at times lead an iterative development process that includes brainstorming sessions, building functional prototypes, and running review sessions with collaborators.
- Work with staff from the division of academic and public programs to plan the schedule of events and projects in the Lightbox.
- Write and deploy production ready code, document projects, and provide support for projects once they are deployed.
- Conduct research on existing and emerging technology that helps strengthen the mission to preserve, document, present, and interpret the museums’ collections and resources in the context of the Lightbox.
- Document findings and report on which technologies are worth exploring further.
- Collaborate with partners within the university on projects to integrate the museums more fully in to Harvard curriculum.
- Give a talk on your work at relevant museums events and then in an expanded form at relevant conferences.
Advanced degree in art history, new media, media arts, digital humanities, computer science, or a related field
Experience with programming, modern web frameworks, application automation, database systems, APIs, and cloud based services like AWS and Heroku
An aptitude for applying new technologies quickly and effectively; comfort with a diverse set of hardware and software technology; knowledge of The Museums System (TMS) or museum cataloguing practices is a plus; willingness to take apart a technology, figure out how every bit works, and then reconstruct it in the most meaningful way for the project at hand; flexibility, adaptability, and a collaborative demeanor; excellent writing and verbal skills; project management skills.
Please note: The Harvard Art Museums requires pre-employment screening for all positions.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:40 UTC