Programmer / Analyst, Systems and Services
Created: March 4, 2016
Ontario Colleges Library Service Toronto0 other recent jobs
DescriptionDescription and Responsibilities
OCLS invites qualified candidates to apply for this exciting and challenging position in the area of
Information Technology (IT) and Systems. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to
expand their skills and knowledge developing, maintaining and delivering a wide range of
services and solutions in support of the libraries and learning resource centres of Ontario’s 24
The Programmer/ Analyst, Systems and Services is accountable for providing system support
functions for the current range of services and third party programs provided by OCLS to the
college libraries, as well, will assist in the identification of system/service efficiencies and the
development of new services and solutions.
Major responsibilities include:
- Working effectively within OCLS’ Customer Support and Service environment to deliver exemplary customer service to Ontario’s 24 college libraries;
- Designing, developing and/or supporting any coding and scripting needed to maintain the OCLS services, including but not limited to desktop, cloud, and server resources;
Working with OCLS’ IT and Services teams, to design, develop, support and maintain the full range of OCLS’ services;
- support for these services may include configuration, scripting/programming, managing legacy scripts and programs, as well as identifying system efficiencies that could be achieved by improving existing or developing new code
- Understanding, analyzing, and refining business requirements for OCLS software and services, both new and current;
- Analyzing and reviewing systems functionality, developing and revising documentation, developing standardized protocols and templates for testing , and troubleshooting;
- Participating in the qualitative and quantitative evaluation of services delivery and the tracking of pertinent data and statistics to demonstrate value to OCLS customers and funders and support the associated business model(s) ;
- Maintaining knowledge of relevant trends and issues in the field;
- Remaining current by participating in training and/or attending conferences as necessary;
- Other duties as required.
- A three-year diploma in computer science or equivalent is required at the point of hire into this position.
- Knowledge of library technical operations through a recognized library educational program or through experience working in a library IT department would be an asset;
- Minimum of two (2) years’ experience with Perl, PHP, Visual Basic or other scripting/programming languages;
At minimum 2 years’ experience and/or proven ability working with:
- MySQL, Microsoft SQL and other database software
- REST, SOAP and other Web Services languages
- Demonstrated project management experience;
- Experience in and strong commitment to outstanding user experience;
- Excellent problem solving, analytical, organizational and communication skills;
- Proven ability to collaborate successfully with colleagues and other professionals in an environment characterized by rapid change;
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team; willingness to work after hours if needed;
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize tasks, manage multiple assignments and handle competing demands;
- Experience with ticket tracking software; Best Practical Request Tracker (RT) preferred, and report generation in a multi-OS, multi-application environment;
- Knowledge of French;
- Knowledge of MARCEdit software would be an asset.
OCLS offers a competitive salary and generous benefits, including a pension plan.
Ontario Colleges Library Service was established in January, 2009 as a non-profit corporation to
provide a suite of core and opt-in services to the libraries/learning resource centres of Ontario’s
24 publicly-funded Colleges of Applied Arts and Technology. OCLS is well positioned to help the
college libraries support student success and works closely with them to develop cost effective
services and solutions that are responsive to new methods of teaching and learning including
online and hybrid education.
Apply by Email:
March 31th, 2016
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:40 UTC