Informatics Project Coordinator
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University — Blacksburg
0 other recent jobs
Created: January 21, 2016
DescriptionReports to the Associate Director, Data Services
The University Libraries of Virginia Tech seek a project coordinator for an expanding suite of informatics consulting services. This new position is part of a team of data and informatics consultants offering critical and sophisticated new technology development services that enhance the scholarly, scientific, and creative expression of researchers at Virginia Tech. Ideal candidates will have experience working in or alongside the software development cycle, technical project management experience, web development and programming skills, and knowledge of digital research methods.
- Provides detailed guidance on project management software, procedures, processes, tools and techniques. Uses and recommends project control solutions for planning, scheduling and tracking informatics and technology development projects
- Collaborates with stakeholders to design project approach; prepares realistic plans (including quality, risk and communications plans) and tracks activities against the project schedule, managing stakeholder involvement as appropriate.
- Designs and implements effective methods of project communication and processes to support stakeholders and informatics consultants
- Designs and implements workflows and processes that foster sustainable and collaborative software/technology development; encourages alignment of technology development directions and platforms with needs of the Libraries, especially in the areas of sustainability, digital library development, and open source engagement; creates procedures and guidelines to ensure compliance with university policies
- Performs code reviews, analyzes new technologies and languages for potential adoption, and oversees the technical professional development of consultants.
- Participates in teams and working groups and in various data-related projects and initiatives as a result of developments and changes in library services
- Maintains professional growth by keeping abreast of emerging areas in digital curation and informatics, serves actively on appropriate departmental, library, university-wide, and professional committees, and provides quality services in a professional manner with a demonstrated commitment to team efforts, service excellence and respect for others
- Possibility of supervising library faculty and staff
Master’s or other advanced degree OR Bachelor’s degree and significant experience in project management or software development (equivalent to an advanced degree)
- Experience with technical project management
- Experience with the software development and release cycle.
- Experience with web development and/or programming (any language)
- Experience providing training or guidance in software development best practices
- Demonstrated commitment to open source software development and sharing of code
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team-based environment
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple complex projects simultaneously, to set priorities, and to meet deadlines
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Master’s degree or other advanced degree in a computing field
- Experience, training or education in informatics, data analytics, data/text mining, or statistics
- Knowledge of agile processes, software version control, and issue tracking systems such as Jira
- Knowledge of trends in digital research tools and methods, data curation, and data management best practices
How to Apply for this Job:
Applications must be submitted online at http://www.jobs.vt.edu, posting AP0160014. The application package needs to include a resume, cover letter addressing the candidate’s experience with the responsibilities associated with the position, and the required and preferred qualifications, names of three (3) references and their contact information. Review of applications will begin as received and continue until the position is filled.
Employee Category: Administrative and Professional Faculty
Appointment Type: Regular
Percent Employment: Full-time
Pay Range: $60,000 minimum
Work Location: Blacksburg
Work Schedule: 8am-5pm M-F or as assigned
Posting Date: 01/22/2016
Job Review Date: 02/22//2016
Quick Link: http://listings.jobs.vt.edu/postings/63064
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:40 UTC