DescriptionInformation Architect - ITS (18 MONTH TERM, Pay Band 15)
Job Number: 1501578
Faculty / Division: Central Library System
Department: Central Library System
Campus: St. George (downtown Toronto)
The successful applicant will lead the information architecture and design on a grant-funded digital scholarship project in the area of Medieval Studies.
The project will extend the Omeka platform’s capacity to support manuscript studies through enhanced image viewing and annotation capabilities; develop a modular application for the visualization of manuscript collations; and to create an API that supports these developments by enabling data exchange between project components and standard digital scholarship platforms.
Project deliverables include:
- Adaptation of an existing IIIF-compliant image viewer and OA Annotation application as plug-ins for the Omeka platform
- Development of a Manuscript Collation tool that interacts with IIIF-compliant image stores and annotations to support visualization of the structure of medieval manuscripts
- Development an API and Omeka plug-in to support data transport between IIIF-compliant image stores and other project components such as Omeka and the project Collation Tool
University degree with a focus in computer science, or an acceptable equivalent combination of education and experience.
Five (5) years of experience either in web-based application architecture, design, and development, or the same amount of leadership experience in web-based software development with clear evidence of a structured, architectural mindset and project management or technical supervisory experience. Work experience in a university or academic library setting would be considered an asset
- Expert and current knowledge of design standards, best practices and practical techniques for user interface and information architecture design of academic and scholarly web-based resources and services is required
- Project management skills; ability to lead and motivate colleagues effectively in a team-based development environment
- Highly-developed understanding of the interdependent nature of users, content and context within large information systems
- Advanced graphical and technical web design skills required for the effective design of web-based resources
- Demonstrated programming skills in several of Java, PHP, Ruby on Rails, Python, or other similar languages in current use for web-based application development
- Demonstrated effective oral and written communication skills; ability to negotiate priorities tactfully and effectively with a variety of stakeholders is required
Experience and familiarity with all of the following is required:
- Current graphical design and image manipulation software applications and techniques
- Use and development of reference architectures, models, or patterns
- Use of SOA protocols and platforms
- Integration of legacy systems with modern applications
- Identity management and single-sign-on tools and techniques
- Relational databases (MySQL)
- Use of object-oriented programming and MVC frameworks in web applications
- Knowledge of best practices in web-based pedagogy
- Effective problem solving and demonstrated self-directed learning
- Ability to manage conflicting priorities and deadlines
- Ability to effectively balance workload while contributing across multiple projects
- Analytical ability; ability to conduct needs assessment, translate high-level non-technical project requirements into effective software design, and communicate technical design requirements effectively to team members
- Strong organizational skills; ability to work and research independently and as part of a team.
Notes: Position is an eighteen (18) month term.
Employee Group: United Steelworkers (USW)
Appointment Type: Budget - Term
Pay Scale Group and Hiring Rate: USW15 -- $75,818 with an annual step progression to a maximum of $96,958. Pay scale and job class assignment is subject to determination pursuant to the Job Evaluation/Pay Equity Maintenance Protocol.
Percentage of FTE: 100
Job Field: Information Technology
Job Posting: Nov 27, 2015
Job Closing: Dec 7, 2015, 11:59:00 PM
How to apply
Published: Friday, November 27, 2015 16:31 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:41 UTC