Sr Software Engineer
Full time Remote / Telecommute
Created: November 13, 2015
University of Notre Dame Notre Dame0 other recent jobs
DescriptionThe Hesburgh Libraries’ Sr. Software Engineer plays a central role in the ability of the library to cater technical solutions to the needs of the university in its mission to advance scholarship, learning and research. This position proactively architects reliable back end data services and infrastructure which anticipates the evolving information needs of students and faculty members. Responsibilities include the design and implementation of scalable applications and software components, engagement with library constituents in negotiating the diverse research and learning needs of the university, as well as communicate with and educate library staff, faculty and administrators regarding emerging trends in technology in order to meet goals and strategic initiatives. Incumbents also have the responsibility to research as well as implement current trends and innovations in both library technology and technical industry best practices and standards. The position also requires a high degree of accountability, and thus requires that individuals working in this position manage project time lines, deliverables, and resources to ensure that planned objectives are met.
- Design, implement, test, deploy and support a wide range of software applications in support of core library objectives.
- Architect and implement robust and dependable infrastructure components, data services, and software integration services.
- Engage with library faculty and staff, university teaching and research faculty, as well as students at all levels in order to ensure that library software and web related services are meeting the needs of the library and the university.
- Plan and manage project tasks, update documentation, work with quality assurance and usability professionals.
- BA or BS degree
- Experience developing scalable web applications and web services
- Experience designing and using relational databases and/or no-sql datastores such as MongoDB
- Experience with object oriented software design principles
- Use of version control systems such as git, subversion or Bitbucket
- Use of web based APIs and service oriented architecture
- Strong software integration skills
- Strong skills related to Ruby on Rails and related scripting languages
- Experience with software testing methodologies such as unit testing, integration testing and acceptance testing
- Experience with web related scripting languages such as PHP, Python, Perl
- Experience with web application scalability, performance and related technologies such as caching, proxying and micro services
- Experience with cloud deployment into services such as AWS and related services
- Familiarity with agile software development principles
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:41 UTC