Senior Mobile Developer (Android)
Created: October 13, 2015
New York Public Library New York City0 other recent jobs
DescriptionSeeking: an experienced mobile applications developer to help reinvent eBook discovery and access for public libraries.
With the support of the federal government and a broad coalition of library partners, The New York Public Library is building a small, empowered product team to develop a mobile platform for ebook lending and reading that could serve as model for public libraries across North America. The ideal candidate is that rare intersection of software super geek (Google keeps calling you) and social do-gooder seeking to improve public access to knowledge and information. If you're game to help re-imagine the public library eBook experience, then make that vision real (and scaleable), then we want you.
This project will be incubated in NYPL in collaboration with other foundations, state and international libraries and our very own NYPL Labs, The New York Public Library’s in-house “skunkworks” unit. You'll be working mainly on ebook access, but dipping into a range of fascinating library experiments, collaborations and elective hacking.
About NYPL the Team:
Based at The New York Public Library's landmark central branch on 42nd Street, the team will be work with award winning team of engineers from across the globe that are trying to re-imagine the Library in the Internet age. The team works closely with librarians and curators to create imaginative tools, apps and experiences around library content and services, often engaging the public directly in the work of improving, organizing or remixing library data and content services. At NYPL, you'll be joining an amazing creative team working at the crossroads of public-sector technology in New York. In addition: a great benefits package, ample vacation time, and a sane life/work balance all make NYPL a fantastic place to work and create.
- Play a key role in the design and development of an mobile application platform for eBooks and Library digital content for iOS and Android.
- Participate in the overall maintenance of the application, including bug fixes, performance enhancements and run-time production support
- Work with server-side engineers to define service APIs to support the mobile applications
- Write clean, well-documented and unit-tested code
- As needed, generate technical documentation for various aspects of the application
- Work with front-end (UI) developers to integrate server-side code with UI artifacts
- Engage with the eBook hacker community through blogging, public speaking, hackathons etc.
- At least 2-3 years of experience writing both native and web mobile applications for iOS, Android or both platforms
- Familiarity with a typed functional language like ocaml or haskell is an advantage"
- Experience with WebKit, and ePub file format is a plus
- Has previously built client-server applications
- Strong experience in managing the constraints in mobile applications – optimizing speed and efficiency with storage, memory usage, power management, battery usage, etc.
- Keen eye for design detail
- Strong appreciation for architecture, problem solving, testing, and agile development
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related discipline is preferred
- Passion for building high-quality mobile applications
- Self-starter, with ability to work under pressure on multiple tasks
- Write and speak as well as you can code (there are often opportunities to write and present about our work inside and outside The Library)
- High energy and a positive attitude in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial, start-up environment
- Strong desire to make a huge impact on how the public is able to access knowledge.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:41 UTC