Web Services and Digital Environments Librarian
Looking for a dynamic work environment and professional growth opportunities? Come join the Library Technology team at Temple. We seek an enthusiastic service-oriented Web Services & Digital Environments Librarian to be involved in a range of collaborative projects including rethinking the Temple Libraries Web presence, creating a dynamic online library user experience for our community and helping to shape the future of learning and research-oriented digital services for our students and faculty. Temple University is a vibrant, urban research university with over 1,700 full-time faculty and a student body of 36,000 that is among the most diverse in the nation. For more information about Temple and Philadelphia, visit http://www.temple.edu/about/.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Director of Library Technology & Knowledge Management Services, the Web Services & Digital Environments Librarian is responsible for analysis, design, development, implementation, maintenance, content coordination and evaluation of the Temple University Libraries’ main web site, user interfaces, integrated web applications and all related mobile environments along with similar environments for the Temple University Press (TUP). Responsibilities include management of interface customizations and the integration of commercial and open source library applications (discovery services, materials request and resource reservation services, library research guides, etc.) into the TUL digital environment, with an emphasis on usability and user responsiveness. Assumes lead role in adopting and enforcing Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) accessibility standards and practices into all public facing library systems and interfaces, working in partnership with the Electronic Resources Librarian and others as appropriate. Explores, recommends and adopts standard and emerging tools, techniques, methods and applications to provide the Temple academic community a robust and reliable online experience with library-provided content and services. Coordinates and facilitates the work of the TUL Web Services team (including a designer, an implementer, and technology & public service specialists) to integrate design theory and usability principles into the Libraries’ Web sites, tutorials, and other applications. Act as a liaison with campus-wide web team. Performs related duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- ALA accredited MLS and at least three (3) years’ experience implementing & managing large web sites.
- Demonstrated experience with a Content Management System like Drupal.
- General web design and development experience using HTML 5 and CSS.
- Experience with current web development trends, such as, mobile-friendly responsive design, ADA accessibility, and web security standards.
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Familiarity with usability design and assessment.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team; supervisory abilities.
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Initiative, flexibility, organization, precision and excellent problem solving skills.
- Ability to support and enhance a diverse learning and working environment.
- Ability to, at times, work evening and weekend hours and be available on-call to address web site problems and concerns.
Preferred Skills and Abilities:
- Strong project management experience, including effective communication with project stakeholders, requirement gathering and specifications writing; experience with agile-style project management.
- Experience in information architecture, taxonomy/ontology creation, and writing of content for the web
- Knowledge of SASS and XML/XSLT
- Demonstrable experience with web APIs and mobile technologies
- Strong interest in emerging technologies, library technology trends, general trends in librarianship and higher education that affect library technology
Competitive salary and benefits package, including relocation allowance. Rank and salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
To apply for this position, please visit www.temple.edu, click on Careers At Temple at the bottom of the home page, and reference TU-19741. For full consideration, please submit your completed electronic application, along with a cover letter and resume. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Temple University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer with a strong commitment to cultural diversity.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:41 UTC