Manager, Digital Applications Group
Full time Remote / Telecommute
Created: October 2, 2015
UC Davis Library University of California, Davis0 other recent jobs
DescriptionThe UC Davis Library is starting a new Digital Applications Group to create web-based applications that deliver information to users wherever they happen to be, on mobiles, desktops, virtual environments — maybe even their watches.
In a mobile-first world, we are embarking on the construction of a new web site that will focus on what users want to find and do, enabling them to grab information wherever they want. For example, we’re building cool sites that will use crowdsourcing to aid the study of wine (yum!) and ecology (imagine dry rivers), and we’re working with advanced triple stores and linked data to enable new services that span not just the campus, but libraries and museums across the world.
This unit has the unique opportunity to establish greenfield expectations and services for how a digital library can change lives, shape education, and deliver research to the furthest corners of the world. If you think that a young woman in a rural village in Pakistan should have as much access to the latest studies in proteogenomics or the etiology of rice diseases as a researcher at Monsanto or Cargill, then we want you to work with us!
- Bachelor's Degree in CS/EE, Information Science, or a related field; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 5+ years in web application development using Java, Ruby, or PHP.
- 2+ years of experience managing teams of 3 or more programmers.
- Skills in convention over configuration frameworks such as Spring Boot, Dropwizard, Play, Rails or Symfony.
- Skills in HTML5 and CSS3, and proficiency in SQL including relational databases such mySQL, Postgres, etc.
- Experience with version control systems such as Git or SVN.
- Experience with AWS platform services (EC2, RDS, etc.).
- Experience with Agile/Scrum and all stages of software development.
- Skills to utilize use case analysis to inform application design.
- Familiarity with a test driven development.
- Knowledge of object oriented programming techniques.
- Analytical and creative problem solving skills.
- Interpersonal and communication skills.
UC Davis is within easy commuting distance of San Francisco, the East Bay, Marin, and Sacramento. Some telecommuting is possible. The position will help recruit and supervise at least two additional staff. And, I mean, come on! Who else has a Meat Lab on their campus!
Salary is negotiable. Excellent benefits; entirely non-smoking and tobacco free campus. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. (And we sell bacon; see above).
To apply, please see:
UC Davis Employment search and use “Department=Library” as a term delimiter.
Or heck, just hit this link and hopefully our Aggie goblins will do the right thing.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:41 UTC
How to apply
Published: Friday, October 2, 2015 20:45 UTC